Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Help!

babygirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 2:47 pm
I want to really learn how to do photography proffesionaly. I went to B and H and they recommended the nikon d5000. Now I spoke to the lady who will be training me and she said she recommends an external flash as well as a wide angle lens. What do you in the know think? Which flash to get? which lenses? What are the main lenses to have? I wanna get the best but I know that there is no limit! What I dont get is when I go to weddings or portrait studios I dont see them keep changing the lenses.. I really would love all comments!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 2:50 pm
I'm sorry but instead of asking Imamother, ask this teacher and ask at B&H...

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:41 pm
It's probably most practical to get a zoom lens, that way you don't have to switch lenses or buy multiple lenses. Tamron makes good quality ones for about $400 which is cheaper than a canon equivalent.

busydev

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:43 pm
they most prob have an good zoom - like 18-250/300 my dh is chalishing for a better zoom but they cost more then our camera did...

babygirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:43 pm
thanks so if I buy the zoom lens its like an all in one deal? I saw on ebay they had lenses for like $30 does that mean they wont do the trick?

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:48 pm
Also, photography can get very very expensive. Will you do studio - then you'll need several lights, backdrops, stands, props etc. You'll also want to get a new color accurate monitor, and various software etc. etc.

babygirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:51 pm
simple1 thanks for your help! are you a photographer? The money issue is what keeps putting me off but its been in my head for years so I dont think its a passing dream! What do you think it will run me to have a studio? What abt the places where you can rent a studio?

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:51 pm
lachmagene wrote:
thanks so if I buy the zoom lens its like an all in one deal? I saw on ebay they had lenses for like $30 does that mean they wont do the trick?

Sounds to cheap to be good. Is it used? You also need to make sure that it's compatible with your camera.

babygirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 3:54 pm
it says its new and works with my camera...it looked like an add on to a lense...the problem is that I have no clue what is good since I didnt start learning yet...am I crazy to go forward with this? There will always be a new lens a new flash.... doesnt end!

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 4:24 pm
lachmagene wrote:
it says its new and works with my camera...it looked like an add on to a lense...the problem is that I have no clue what is good since I didnt start learning yet...am I crazy to go forward with this? There will always be a new lens a new flash.... doesnt end!

Can you post a link?

Also, you don't have to buy a flash right away, there is so much you can do with natural light in the meantime (especially if you use reflectors).

babygirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 4:31 pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tele-Wide-.....enses

Sherri

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 4:34 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
?? You see some poster is able to help her here...

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 4:42 pm
Sherri wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
?? You see some poster is able to help her here...

It seems to be a no-name brand. I think it's better to go with a known name such as sigma, tamron, nikon (and canon if you have a canon camera). A decent lense will give you sharper pictures than a cheap lens. Even the kit lenses (lenses that often come with the camera) are not as good as the more expensive lenses.

babygirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 5:09 pm
ok got ya! thats good to know:) now I feel a little more educated!!thanks a ton!

busydev

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 5:23 pm
we have a nikon d60 (an older model) that we bougt used from b&h. the best thing to do is to find the lense you want new and then froogle it used... this way you make sure its what you want and you get the best price.

the link you sent looks like a lense without any zoom- or maybe an add on...

also dont just get any lense. you want to get a lense that has a decent amount of zoom- a good all around one is an 18-200 (at least) . we were told that tameron is as good/better then a nikon lense for nikon cameras. (this is from a VERY good photoographer- does alot of weddings and other events.) he told my husbnad he has a 18-300 or 350 (I forget) and it gets most zoom that he wants for general usage.

also at weddings and stuff the photographer is generally using one lense cause he isnt doing wide angle stuff etc... but if you are going to also take pics of other things- scenery etc (which you should prob do as part of training) then you may want other lenses.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 12:49 am
Simple1 wrote:
It's probably most practical to get a zoom lens, that way you don't have to switch lenses or buy multiple lenses. Tamron makes good quality ones for about $400 which is cheaper than a canon equivalent.

That would depend on what kind of photography she wants to do in the future. Some prefer prime lenses. I have a zoom and a prime lens and I prefer my prime lens over the zoom.

OP, you have to decide in what direction you want to take your photography and what your plans are. The lens purchase would depend on what you are planning to do. Outdoor photography might require different lenses than a studio.

I would also recommend you fiddle around with the camera to make sure you like that particular camera and features, as well as how it functions. Everyone likes something else and the best camera, if you don't feel comfortable with it, will not be good for you.

Buying ANY photo equipment used, should be done only with a reputable seller that has LOADS of only positive feedback. You can really fall in with a bad piece if you're not careful and it isn't small money.

I think it's a mistake to purchase everything at once. I think you can't know what you will, or won't end up using and you should learn basic photography skills before going all out and getting a flash etc...

One of the big mistakes of future photographers is purchasing this and that before they know where their photography will take them. Slow and steady is the way to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art