Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Need your opinion on internet 'tzniut'....

amother

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 7:17 pm
Ok, I'm pretty sure that this is the wrong section to post in, but I just don't know where to ask this question....

I work with a religious charitable organization that helps people in need within the community - we help build bridges in the community between those who 'have' and those who 'don't have'. Recently we've grown to the point where we're developing a professional website. An amazing design company designed our site for free and it looks incredible! The company interpreted our mandate to create a beautiful logo, which includes a design of stick figure men and stick figure women holding hands in a circle (just a typical stick figure, and for the woman it shows a triangle representing the skirt).

The head of the organization adores the logo, but is worried that some of the most frum people in the community might be offended at seeing the male/female stick figure arms touching.

What do you think?

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 7:37 pm
I honestly don't think people will pay attention to the logo. Also, people are accustomed to seeing stick figures of a man holding hands with a woman--it'll go right by them (like the single-use restroom signs). Two men or two women holding hands might make someone look twice.

Can you just photoshop it so they aren't holding hands?

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 7:39 pm
I really don't think it's a big deal.
If anybody says anything, you can always retort that they are brother and sister, or husband and wife--not niddah. 8)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:34 pm
I think if people have an issue, then they have too much time on their hands

MommyZ

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:37 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
I think if people have an issue, then they have too much time on their hands

Thumbs Up

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:48 pm
As we all know, it is absolutely not tzniut for a stick figure to hold hands with another stick figure of the opposite gender. I would totally get rid of it, unless you don't mind offending people who know that being frum means caring about stuff like that. In fact, they probably shouldn't be seen in public together at all, even if they aren't touching.

spinkles

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 11:12 pm
I guess I am the weirdo here. While I definitely wouldn't be "offended," I do think it would look a little odd for a frum organization to have that in their logo.

It would just feel weird, like a certain sensitivity is lacking.

(Flame away!) Wink

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 11:16 pm
Logos are important. I would add a child between them to signify "this is family" that has now be helped, and perhaps something above/under or within the circle to represent your service.

SplitPea

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:27 am
I agre that logos ARE important and I am the type to look at one and see something like that.I also agree maybe assing a child in between would solve a lot of problems... or just make it all men. they ARE stick figures after all.. just take off the skirt and let people use their imagination on the gender.

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:13 am
As Craig Ferguson says, "If you're mad about a drawing of a cat shooting a drawing of a mouse, then it's not really about the cat, is it?"

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:35 am
It wouldn't bother me in the least but I wouldn't put it in a frum logo. The logo should be something representative and clear. I agree it is a bit 'off'. People should never look at a logo and think it isn't a smooth fit.
I agree it could be solved by adding child figures in the circle. That makes it less a man/woman interaction and more of a family/community thing.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:43 am
I agree with chana_f and tablepoetry. While I wouldn't be "offended" by it, it would look strange to me as a logo for a frum organization. I second the above suggestions of changing it.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 2:42 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
It wouldn't bother me in the least but I wouldn't put it in a frum logo. The logo should be something representative and clear. I agree it is a bit 'off'. People should never look at a logo and think it isn't a smooth fit.
I agree it could be solved by adding child figures in the circle. That makes it less a man/woman interaction and more of a family/community thing.

I agree. This isn't about deciding that anyone who cares about something so trivial is cuckoo. When doing marketing we have to be sure not to offend ANYONE (unless that's part of our shtick). Why do something that just MAY bother someone? Wouldn't it be so much easier to just change it a bit? (Even if it means it may take longer and cost a bit more)?

I sure wouldn't want to offend any of my potential customers or donors!!!

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:27 am
Branding is the message. It is a quick, easy way to identify a particular product or service. You want people to see the logo and think YOUR SERVICE and they should think it in a way that makes them want to purchase or support that service.

Good luck...let us know what happens in the end...I'm very curious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics