Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
No eruv - how to wear house keys on Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

mama-star

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 11:49 pm
weinsteins on kingston ave in crown heights Wink

geemum

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 5:36 am
OP - why do you need to drill holes?

IN response to shoy18 -
And who said it's okay to carry outside you're house if you haven't got an eruv in your front garden. Hilchos Shabbos you cannot carry from reshus harabim (public domain) to reshus hayochid (private domain). Most opinions hold that your front garden is reshus harabim as anyone can walk there. Even more so outside a block of communal flats (where one can't carry in the communal halls unless there's in an eruv in the building!)

Secondly the chances of you breaking a twig or leaf on shabbos is very high on shabbos if you go scrambling for the key in the bushes. As well as you still have the problem of carrying!

ROFL

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 5:52 am
If you live in NYC go to you local judica store they will be able to help- also if you LOR said no to the braclet. Did you ask what is allowable in his opinion?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 6:29 am
In Manhattan, Westside Judaica should carry keybelts. It's black elastic band that has a series of metal rings with clasps and a plastic buckle. You do not need to drill additional holes in your key heads. All you need to do is separate the metal rings, attach one side of metal clasp to the key, clip on the other metal clasp to the same key, so that the key is actually connecting the two metal bits and forms an integral part of the chain. So you're NOT just letting the keys dangle from the chain (which will be carrying).

Come to think of it, it shouldn't be that difficult to make your own shabbat belt. You just need metal chain belts and break it in the middle to insert the keys.

I was taught that one can unbuckle the belt to use the key, but one needs to use the other hand to hold on to the remainder of the belt so that it stays close to your body.

Personally I have not heard about the belt needs to be fit for wearing it to the wedding etc. Almost all rabbonim I know here use one.

hadasa

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 8:43 am
Because a belt is considered a garment even if it is not decorative. A bracelet, necklace, pin or ring has to be decorative to be considered a garment.

katb

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 8:45 am
You need to wear it in top of a garment which isn't already belted I.e. if you are wearing a belt through a skirt, you can put it on there and would need to put it on a shirt so far as I know. and if its too loose it doesn't act as a belt so its not permitted either

louche

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 10:21 am
shoy18 wrote:

why dont u just leave the key under the rug in front of your door?

If she did that, she may as well not bother locking the door. Under the welcome mat is the FIRST place thieves look. They know more key hiding places than all of us on this site put together.

pacifier

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 10:27 am
katb wrote:
You need to wear it in top of a garment which isn't already belted I.e. if you are wearing a belt through a skirt, you can put it on there and would need to put it on a shirt so far as I know. and if its too loose it doesn't act as a belt so its not permitted either

Not everyone goes by it. I was told by a Rav that I could wear my shabat belt on top or under a regular belt, no problem.

pacifier

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 10:28 am
http://www.gotjudaica.com/Prod.....-belt

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 10:59 am
why on earth would anybody pay $14.99 for an elastic that cost $1 ... please make it yourself ...

amother

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 11:00 am
LOR said the belt was allowable. In the pictures I've seen though the keys have two holes drilled in them. I wondered if that was required or not. If not, so much the better. Getting nitpicky, I know, but I want to make sure I do this right... LOR also said I could wear the belt under my clothes.

someoneoutthere

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 11:07 am
shoy18 wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbos locks are not an option -- we live in a communal apartment bldg in a non-jewish area of nyc.

and no way would I put my key under the mat in new york city!!! shock

If thats the case throw it in one of the bushes outside your building, where the path is, and remember the bush and go pick it up, whats the big deal? no one is going to find the key, and brake in then figure out which apt you live in....

You cannot carry in the hallways of the building either, unless there is an eruv chatzeros for the building itself. As well, carrying from outside to the inside, even if you can carry within the building, is a problem unless there is a fenced in courtyard.

As for the belt, if you cannot drill a second hole, tie the elastic tight enough that the the clips are exactly perpendiclar to the key, and the key even with one hole serves a function on the belt.

-Just a word about shabbos belts- if you are wearing a jacket or shirt with a belt, the key must be worn over your skirt, or if the skirt has a belt but not the shirt, then over your shirt. According to halacha, one only wears a single belt on a layer of garment. You can wear a belt on each layer, but only one. (For example: a man he can wear a belt on his pants, on his tzitzis (some wear a 'bendel' to keep their tzitzis in place), a shabbos key on his shirt, a gartel on his jacket and a belt to close his raincoat. But he can't wear the shabbos key on his pants or jacket cuz of the belt/gartel)

**I posted without reading all the way through. others said my points much better**

Iluvmykids

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:15 pm
I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, as this post is a year old, but I just came across a website
www.shabbosbelts.com that sell different belts, adjustable and not, black and white, and they offer free shipping.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:01 am
Get a shabbos belt or have the key made into a bracelet, necklace...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions