Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice with yellow raisins, almonds, what else?

TzipG

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 4:56 am
I was at a bar mitzvah recently and the rice had yellow raisins, slivered almonds and some type of yellow seasoning in it. It was so yummy!

What spices should I add?

mandksima

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 7:48 am
You might have had it with saffron but since I don't have that, this is the recipe I use.

Saute 1/2 diced onion and 2-3 minced garlic cloves in a few tablespoons oil. When pretty soft, add the spices -cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, tumeric (that will make it yellow), little bit paprika, salt and pepper. Stir a few minutes till the room smells heavenly and add the rice, stirring to coat with the spiced oil. Add the water, bring to a boil and then turn to a simmer and time it (15 minutes for white rice.) Add yellow raisins, chopped dried apricots if you like or craisins, and toasted almonds. Taste for salt.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 4:03 pm
Proper yellow rice is made with safran. Before you cook the rice, you sprinkle crumbed safran threads. It's expensive but you'll need only a small amount. The threads are reddish/orange-ish but it dyes water (and rice) into yellow.

Turmeric (used for curry) is a cheap alternative, but has a slightly bitter aftertaste and totally different aroma.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes