Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Vanilla Roll Cake

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:49 pm
My mom calls this 'rollad', for clarification. I am looking for a recipe for a vanilla roll cake, with chocolate cream. So far, all my cookbooks only have recipes for chocolate cake and vanilla cream.

Burrrberry

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 6:04 pm
I think this is what you're talking about...

For the cake part:
4 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Sifted confectioners' sugar
Chocolate cream filling

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C. Grease and lightly flour a 15 x 10 x 1-inch (38cm x 25cm x 2.5cm) jelly roll (swiss roll tin) pan.

2. Separate eggs. Allow egg whites and yolks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.

3. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until sugar is almost dissolved.

4. Thoroughly wash the beaters. In another bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. Roll up towel and cake into a spiral starting from one of the cake's short sides. Cool on a wire rack. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with cream filling to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up cake.

Cream filling
12 egg yolks (1 c.)
1 1/4 c. (2 1/2 sticks) margarine, melted & cooled
15 oz. semi-sweet chocolate

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat yolks until thick and lemon colored (10 minutes). Add margarine and continue beating; melt chocolate in microwave and add to eggs/marg mixture and continue beating until well combined.

A lot of work but delicious!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:31 pm
THANK YOU!!!! I already made a different cake, but it looks a bit weird. I'm waiting for it to cool, and if it's no good, I'm definitely trying this one next. (and putting this recipe away for next time!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins