Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Besides kugel, is there any potato dish that I can freeze?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:12 am
Besides kugel, is there any potato dish that I can freeze? TIA

soboz

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 4:14 am
One of my favourites for YT is to saute onions. In a separate pot boil potatoes. When cooked, mash the potatoes, add the sauteed onions and season to taste. Freeze. Can be reheated from frozen or defrosted. My kids love it.
This can also be used to fill puff pastry for a potato knish - which also freezes fine (I freeze it unbaked and the defrost and bake on YT).

sonny

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:18 am
I freeze doughless knishes ,they come out perfect

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:25 am
What are doughless knishes?

I freeze potato and potato mushroom knishes. I make them from a strudel dough, not a puff pastry dough though. Puff pastry dough I use for borekahs.

est

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:36 am
what is the difference between a knish and bouraka?

also pls liba can I have your strudel dough recipe?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:42 am
potato knishes freeze fine.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:46 am
Est http://www.jewishrecipes.org/j......html - that is a knish. A boreka is usually made from puff pastry dough, flat, cut into different shapes depending on the type of filling.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 11:04 am
Knish dough

5c flour
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup boiling water
1 cup oil
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt

kneed and let rest a little bit.

est

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 11:15 am
thank you liba. what shape do you cut it into (couldn't tell from the picture) and what should it look like when you are ready to bake?

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 11:24 am
knishes, I don't cut. I take a ball of dough, flatten it into a circle, put filling in the middle and the pull the sides up and pinch them together on top. Then I baste them with egg and bake.

est

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 12:14 pm
thank you so much liba. I think I will try this for yom tov!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 1:03 pm
frozen potato kugel is ony to put in cholent, imo.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
frozen potato kugel is ony to put in cholent, imo.

I freeze potato kugel all the time (just undercooked slightly) and it comes out great. I fully defrost and reheat uncovered. It may not be the same as a fresh kugel straight from the oven (but even that degrades by just reheating and certainly refrigerating and then reheating), but it is excellent.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:17 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I freeze potato kugel all the time (just undercooked slightly) and it comes out great. I fully defrost and reheat uncovered.

With your permission, I'm gonna try that !!!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:23 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
I freeze potato kugel all the time (just undercooked slightly) and it comes out great. I fully defrost and reheat uncovered.

With your permission, I'm gonna try that !!!

Please do -- it really works; I've been doing it for years.

It's also great turned into overnight kugel (without putting in cholent) -- just defrost, pour about half a cup of water over the kugel, seal tightly and leave overnight in a 200-degree oven.

newme

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 4:19 pm
I have found that the best way to re-heat potato kugels that have been frozen, is to take them out the freezer and put them straight in the oven for approx half an hour WITHOUT ALLOWING THEM TO DEFROST.
That way they come out the oven as freshly tasting as if they had just been prepared.
I do this even when I only need the kugels for Shabbos day - I reheat straight from the freezer, then cool off and place them on the hotplate on Friday night (on an upside down tray/pot) after the evening meal, so that the kugel reheats slowly for hours and hours. By the midday seudah it is abolutely DELICIOUS.

If I want to serve the potato kugel for Shalosh Seudos (I do that sometimes when the Shabbos days are short and we cannot have dairy) then I place it on the hotplate sometime during the morning (again - on top of an upturned pot or deep metal tray) and by shalosh seudos it's yum!

str

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 4:22 pm
doughless potatoe knishes freezes excellent. I sometimes have it in the freezer for over a month and its delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes