Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
If you have a magic mill what challa recipe do you use?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:31 pm
I just got a magic mill a few weeks ago. I love that I can make challa all at once, unlike my bread machine, but I have not found a recipe that matches up to my bread machine recipe. I tried the devorah heller recipe, which tastes ok, but not amazing BUT is really easy. (no extra dirty bowls apart from the machine bowl)

I prefer recipes with eggs and sugar...I'm not trying to be healthy here.

anyone have a recipe that gets wows every time?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:34 pm
Th e recipe I use has no eggs but tons of sugar. I searched around until I found this one, now truly people do comment on my challas!
It's the recipe from A Taste of Challa by Tamar Ansh.

(Ironically, I have to mix it in three separate batches because my kenwood cannot take the whole lot at once!)

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:38 pm
the magic mill happily takes a 2 kilo bag of flour. could you post your recipe? maybe I'll try it. I'm nervous about no eggs, but on the plus side it will be cheaper!

soldat

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:38 pm
any challah recipe can work in a magic mill
personally, I use the one in KBD - lots of eggs and sugar, but I think you do need to use an extra bowl b/c you need to desolve the sugar in the boiling water.
the first recipe in spice and spirit also works well.
usually (besides for the KBD recipe) I ignore all directions for making the dough, and this is what I do:
1. dissolve the yeast however they tell you - but in the magic mill bowl - wait for it to bubble
2. add the sugar, eggs, salt, oil, remaining water if any - mix well with the machine
3. set the machine on 12 min, and slowly add the flour adjusting the mixer arm and the speed as needed - leave the dough while it continues to mix, but keep an eye in case it need more flour.

good luck!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:40 pm
Sure!

3 sachets dried yeast
15 cups flour
1.5 cups sugar
1T salt
1 cup oil
4.5 cups water

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 7:46 pm
soldat wrote:
any challah recipe can work in a magic mill
personally, I use the one in KBD - lots of eggs and sugar, but I think you do need to use an extra bowl b/c you need to desolve the sugar in the boiling water.
the first recipe in spice and spirit also works well.
usually (besides for the KBD recipe) I ignore all directions for making the dough, and this is what I do:
1. dissolve the yeast however they tell you - but in the magic mill bowl - wait for it to bubble
2. add the sugar, eggs, salt, oil, remaining water if any - mix well with the machine
3. set the machine on 12 min, and slowly add the flour adjusting the mixer arm and the speed as needed - leave the dough while it continues to mix, but keep an eye in case it need more flour.

good luck!

I tried the kbd recipe last week and it came out terribly. Plus it dirtied lots of bowls.

my spice and spirit is torn and I missing the the first few challa recipes. Sad

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:50 pm
Use the one from Kosher by Design. Its sweet, has eggs, and it's great. You have to add extra flour though otherwise dough will be too sticky.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 5:23 am
Little Engine wrote:
Use the one from Kosher by Design. Its sweet, has eggs, and it's great. You have to add extra flour though otherwise dough will be too sticky.

I guess you didn't read my post. I tried that and it came out not very well, although I made by hand successfully.

justmom

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 6:08 am
Are you using the yeast hook? Don't laugh, but I didn't know about what that metal hook was for until I had owned the Magic Mill for more than 3 years-- until then I was using that white cylinder thingy. Now I use the dough hook with the KBD recipe (the one with 4 cups of boiling water)-- I just dump in two kilo bags of flour, all the other ingredients and then the yeast that I have proofed in a little bowl. Last I do the boiling water and voila-- no mess whatsoever-- just did it this morning.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 6:33 am
justmom wrote:
Are you using the yeast hook? Don't laugh, but I didn't know about what that metal hook was for until I had owned the Magic Mill for more than 3 years-- until then I was using that white cylinder thingy. Now I use the dough hook with the KBD recipe (the one with 4 cups of boiling water)-- I just dump in two kilo bags of flour, all the other ingredients and then the yeast that I have proofed in a little bowl. Last I do the boiling water and voila-- no mess whatsoever-- just did it this morning.

yes, I use the dough hook.

hmm, maybe I will try the kbd recipe again.

pinktichel

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 7:40 am
I gave you mine already...I'm surprised you didn't like it... I can't tell you what amazing reviews I get....

People are literally begging me to give classes. So far, it looks as though I'm going to have to do at least 3 to try and fit everyone in!

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 7:58 am
I use the Spice & Spirit recipe

Here it is from memory with my modifications:

3.5 cups lukewarm water
4 packets dry yeast

wait till yeast dissolves, add

1 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
half the flour

mix well, add

6 eggs (I don't beat them first)
1 cup oil
remainder of flour

mix with dough hook
turn timer all the way to the end, walk away till the noise stops, then take dough out of bowl, add a bit of oil to bowl, roll dough in oil till coated, cover dough, let rise one hour, shape loaves, let rise 30-45 minutes, brush on eggs, sprinkle seeds, bake at 350 till golden, enjoy.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 8:32 am
pinktichel wrote:
I gave you mine already...I'm surprised you didn't like it... I can't tell you what amazing reviews I get....

People are literally begging me to give classes. So far, it looks as though I'm going to have to do at least 3 to try and fit everyone in!

it was ok...I just like sweet egg challa. Most of the recipes I've tried have been good, just not amazing. (maybe I am pickier then my guests...they like it anyway.)

justanothermother, exactly how much flour do you begin with? And what is the name of the recipe? 9there are lots in that book!)

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 9:07 am
oops.

I start with a 5lb bag.

The recipe is on pg 51 of the purple book. My only changes are:
3/4 cup sugar changed to 1 cup
1-1/2 tbsp salt changed to 1 tbsp
13 to 14 cups flour changed to 5lbs of flour, no measuring needed
I don't beat the eggs before adding
2 hours rising, punching down every 20 minutes changed to 1 hour rising, totally ignore it for that hour
bake at 375 changed to bake at 350

mo5

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 7:02 pm
justanothermother wrote:
I use the Spice & Spirit recipe

Here it is from memory with my modifications:

3.5 cups lukewarm water
4 packets dry yeast

wait till yeast dissolves, add

1 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
half the flour (approx 7 cups)

mix well, add

6 eggs (I don't beat them first)
1 cup oil
remainder of flour

mix with dough hook
turn timer all the way to the end, walk away till the noise stops, then take dough out of bowl, add a bit of oil to bowl, roll dough in oil till coated, cover dough, let rise one hour, shape loaves, let rise 30-45 minutes, brush on eggs, sprinkle seeds, bake at 350 till golden, enjoy.

I put in salt later b/c salt acts on the yeast, slowing its action.
It cals for less sugar but if you like sweet, then 1 cup is good.
In Magic Mill it says that you should put in all liquid first? (I think that's what I read) so I add in the sugar, the oil, eggs, mix on higher speed, then 1/2 flour, mix for a few minutes, rest of flour and salt, mix on low speed for few minutes (at least 4-5 once flour mixed in for it to knead it).
and then the same.
If you like sweet, you can also mix sugar into the eggwash.

I make this recipe and all the guests like it. Try fresh yeast if you can get it (2 oz, which is approx 60 gm for those of us out of the US) and you can also make this recipe with using up to half of the flour as wholemeal.

Mevater

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:24 am
justanothermother wrote:
oops.

I start with a 5lb bag.

The recipe is on pg 51 of the purple book. My only changes are:
3/4 cup sugar changed to 1 cup
1-1/2 tbsp salt changed to 1 tbsp
13 to 14 cups flour changed to 5lbs of flour, no measuring needed
I don't beat the eggs before adding
2 hours rising, punching down every 20 minutes changed to 1 hour rising, totally ignore it for that hour
bake at 375 changed to bake at 350
I like the idea of no measuring, but according to the website here

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/in......html

5 pounds flour is 20 cups- how can the recipe work well and yield reliable results if you chose to add 6 cups of flour?

teachby

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:34 am
My recipe:

3.5 cups warm water
4 tbsp yeast
2 cups sugar
.5-1 tbsp salt
1.5 cups oil
6 eggs
5 lbs. flour

mix with mixer. put in bowl and let rise 1.5 hours. punch down, braid. let rise 45 minutes more. brush with egg and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads