Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
COSTCO tips and deals?

mindyme

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 11:52 pm
Thinking about getting a membership to Costco.
Do you have one? Is it worth it? What things do you buy there that are cheap?

levial

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 2:44 pm
Cheese. Cholov Israel circle K shredded mozzarella or american. Sometimes they get Feta cheese. These don't even need to be frozen- I just put them in a good ziploc bag. (And only 2 of us eat cheese frequently). The bags of cheese here are about 9.99 or 8.99 I can't recall. Huge bags, not the 8oz ones from the grocery

Meat: they have ground, london broil, brisket etc. They also get poultry in, - fresh, cheaper than at the butchers. Great for shabbat

Juice boxes, water bottles

Plastic plates - fancy ones for shabbat, cups, silverware

The produce is nicer than BJs. I will buy the mixed greens, the raspberries, the blueberries...even the peeled garlic has a hecksher.

Craisins - 8$ for a huge bag

They have seasonal things like flowers, treadmills, furniture that are also nice quality - depends if you are in the market for them.
BJs on the other hand, has my favorite everyday solo plates 9 inches, and the frozen rolls from Wellesley Farms have a kof-k on the outside of the frozen box- so I get ciabatta, tuscan rolls, french bread that I have them bring out the box, they put the frozen ones in a bag and I bake at home.

OheivYisrael

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 3:40 pm
Most people I know get their paper goods there- toilet paper, paper towels, tissues and the like.

A lot depends on your area. My Costco has a kosher (chalav stam) bakery that people say is very good and cheap. They have kosher chicken and meats and the cholov yisrael cheeses. Kedem grape juice. Etc. BUT that's not everywhere.

On the other hand, diapers and wipes alone makes the savings worthwhile for some people.

Are you looking for a laundry list of everything we get there?

elmos

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 7:18 pm
I feel I save alot by going ther between the frozen salmon, fresh and frozen kosher poultry,diapers, wipes, cleanser, fresh produce , box drinks some groceries etc. it depends if you have storage space and how you cook etc. go with a friend see if its things youd use

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 4:26 pm
do a search on imamother - ppl have posted about this b4 - and lots of ppl responded

just remember - costco DOESNT take coupons - so if s/t is on sale in ur local supermarket and you have coupons - it can usually b cheaper than the costco bulk price

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 4:32 pm
but costco does give out coupons every month. it changes though.

also know your unit prices. somethings are cheaper else where. I like their produce. and cheese is cheaper there too.

jerseygirl

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 4:35 pm
It all depends on where you live. If there is a kosher section then it is definitely worth it. Otherwise, I don't think it's that great. It's good for buying in bulk, but I don't find it to be cheaper then the grocery store. The produce is better then the grocery store but definitely more expensive.

There was an article in the NY times about this last year. How Costco used to be for buying in bulk to get a discount. Now if you look around the parking lot, there are all luxury cars doing a bulk shopping. Most of the items are not cheaper, but there good products.

Each account is allowed to have two accounts, so my mother gave me the second card on her account. I think if you want you could do this with a friend and split the cost.

cb

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:10 am
anyone going to costco from crown heights this week before shukkos?
I need a large mayonaise from hellmans ($10) instead of buying here in town half that size for $9)
mind to get it for me?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 1:40 pm
The flash frozen salmon is really good. However, not every Costco has the same kosher frozen fish. There are several I the NY area and some of them have while other don't. Plus in Florida they have kosher Chilean Sea Bass. I have never seen that here.

With Costco you cannot assume that just because it is bulk it is cheaper. Often things like toilet paper are cheaper at your local walgreen's when they go on sale. However, if you do not have time to shopping and stocking up on things when they are on sale then one large trip to Costco will work out better for you than one large trip local area grocery store.

The produce also seems to last a lot longer than that from the supermarket - probably good since you get so much of it!

im here!

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:05 pm
I had a bj's membership & when it expired someone was doing a costco membership so we joined (get 2 cards per account).
I find that the best way I was able to save was that every time I needed things that I knew costco sells I checked 1st with the local grocery how much they charged for it & the volume of it & wrote it down, by now I have my set list that I take with me every time we go to costco.

NOT EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER BY COSTCO OR BJS!!

cutlery & plastic goods are cheaper for me to get at the local store.

All depends on the prices of the stores you shop at regularly.

Good Luck!!

P.S. If you sign up to their email listing you get coupons that can help you save.

cb

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:52 pm
I just got a mayonaise for $15 , the large one
at the store on east new york and troy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains