Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Strep that wont go away

curlytop

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 1:34 pm
2 of my kids had strep, my 2 year old has been on 2 medicines already, its been 6 days and she still have fever. Back to the dr I go. Just wondering if anyone ever had this and what it possibly can be??

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:44 pm
I had it with one of my children. Any time he was off anti-biotics, he got strep. We tried keeping him on a low dose for a while, and a week after we finished - he was sick again. It happened again and again. We pretty much went through 2 straight years of strep w/ him The ENT's we went to all said his tonsils looked fine, and didn't want to remove them. A pediatrician family friend who took a look at him said the one thing that made sense - he claimed he had these little "nooks" in his tonsils, and the strep was inside, so was not reacting to the anti-biotics. The ENT poo-pooed it, but finally even he agreed that it was a lost battle. We removed the tonsils, and since then (2 years) only had 2 or 3 cases of strep, that went away immediately with anti-biotics.
As I'm writing this I realize this very well might all be completely irrelevent to you, but I guess I'm just sharing my experience with you.

curlytop

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:51 pm
Wow thats nuts!!! 2 years straight!! How did you survive???
No, this is all happening within a week of being diagnosed, I am hoping it wont be a long term situation,

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:53 pm
curlytop wrote:
No, this is all happening within a week of being diagnosed, I am hoping it wont be a long term situation,

I didn't, quite honestly. Especially since for some reason this particular child's main symptom with strep is CRAZY behavior - seriously, you'd put him on ritalin if you saw him with strep. I always knew he had strep before he even got sick because he'd be so nuts. And he has the same reaction to anti-biotics. Those two years were not very good for our relationship, to put it mildly. B"H it's behind us now, but it was not an easy time!

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 2:55 pm
BTW refuah sheleima to your kids! Sometimes it just takes another dose. I have that with myself sometimes. I actually finally figured out that for some reason I don't react to Rafapen. Now I go straight to Augmentin, and I always get rid of it after the first dose.

Basimcha

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:20 pm
One of my kids keep getting strept very often. The dr said to wait a while and see if it doesn't stop we might consider removing his tonsils. But he said they usually outgrow it.

Last edited by Basimcha on Tue, Sep 21 2010, 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:29 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
I had it with one of my children. Any time he was off anti-biotics, he got strep. We tried keeping him on a low dose for a while, and a week after we finished - he was sick again. It happened again and again. We pretty much went through 2 straight years of strep w/ him The ENT's we went to all said his tonsils looked fine, and didn't want to remove them. A pediatrician family friend who took a look at him said the one thing that made sense - he claimed he had these little "nooks" in his tonsils, and the strep was inside, so was not reacting to the anti-biotics. The ENT poo-pooed it, but finally even he agreed that it was a lost battle. We removed the tonsils, and since then (2 years) only had 2 or 3 cases of strep, that went away immediately with anti-biotics.
As I'm writing this I realize this very well might all be completely irrelevent to you, but I guess I'm just sharing my experience with you.

my ent said something similar, not about nooks, just that the strep is hiding in there, not always is it causing infections. his theory was that if you take a certain med for 3 weeks, it works specifically only on strept, and start it when you don't have strept then it kills it. he had 50% success of not having to do surgery. it worked on me.

abismommy

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 1:16 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
curlytop wrote:

I didn't, quite honestly. Especially since for some reason this particular child's main symptom with strep is CRAZY behavior - seriously, you'd put him on ritalin if you saw him with strep. I always knew he had strep before he even got sick because he'd be so nuts. And he has the same reaction to anti-biotics. Those two years were not very good for our relationship, to put it mildly. B"H it's behind us now, but it was not an easy time!

Have you ever heard of PANDAS? Might be worth looking into...not that I know anyone that had it, but you never know.

Last edited by abismommy on Tue, Sep 21 2010, 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 1:20 am
OP, go see a doctor. my brother, just like c.c.cookie's child, had strep also for about an entire year or so whenever he was off the medicine, he had strep. he had his tonsils removed and BH, poo poo poo, has not gotten strep again.

check it out.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 1:21 am
People can be a carrier for strep but never actually get sick... they just spread the love.

My brother had a best friend growing up that was constantly giving him strep. My aunt has a couple carrier kids that were always giving the others strep....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics