Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Your opinion about Life Coaching

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 8:38 am
I just wanted to gather an opinion from the klal- if they feel that there is a need for life coaches, and if people you know are using them. Would you use a life coach if you felt stuck with something? Do you know about the field or is it something farely new that you don't trust? I'm trying to get a feel for how easy/hard it would be to market myself as a life coach specializing in dating... And what your opinion on the whole idea is.
I'd really appreciate any input- good/bad.
Thanks

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 1:10 pm
It seems to be to be a luxury, and the market is flooded with them.

bashabelle

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 3:30 pm
Maybe specify:
Israel or America? and which city?
Would you work with men and women or just women?
Why specialize in dating, just wondering? It might be limiting, or it might help b/c it might give you more of a professional field to target. Hard to say. I think it really depends on the area/clientele.

Just to explain my bias:
Someone very close to me is becoming a life coach. I'm not sure if I 100% support the decision or think that it will be of real worth- parnossa wise. As of now, he is really enjoying the classes and thinks its great training for life and for counselling, which is what he eventually wants to go in to.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:31 pm
Thanks for the reply, I wouldnt want to limit myself to israel although thats where I live... eventually I'd want something online as a way for people to contact me through skype, phone - whatever..
but I also thought that going into dating is a specified niche- but I would want to cover dating, getting prepared for marriage, engagement, shana rishona- etc... Im a bit involved with Shidduchim from time to time and I think people do need more guidance these days, hence the hundreds of broken engagements, and more unfortunately divorces we hear of. I think people are anxious to have agood marriage, and to get married young- not to become an older single, etc.. That's why I've chosen to start with that field.
But it is relatively new which is why I thought I'd ask the questiong to hear what people think about it...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 3:52 pm
LOL- I have an appointment in 10 minutes with my life coach!

Anyway, I have started to use a life coach for an issue that has been holding me back in a few areas in life (my procrastination with big projects). Yes, I am a big girl and mature and can figure out what to do, but I could afford the feedback, and decided to devote a few sessions with a LC to work this out.

I am in middle- so far I am happy with the results. Nothing world-shaking, but that's the point- it all comes from within the client. I am able to spend some time with a trained objective person who can help me come up with ideas to get out of this rut that will work for me. It gives me a chance for introspection.

I agree that it is a luxury, and that sometimes I come out of a session thinking- "What exactly did we just accomplish?" But it works for now, for me. I think I expected more than what the field actually is. Or it could be the issue I am working with, or my LC, or the fact that I am very self-aware in general so much of this isn't a chiddush for me.

I have the same feelings of caution as those who have posted about relying on this for parnassa. I do think people need a dating coach, but I would hope you go for more training when dealing with such a sensitive issue. So much responsibility!! I think some dating and especially engaged couples would do with pre-marital counseling, but that's a licensed therapist, not a life coach. Gotta be careful.

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 4:43 pm
I never understood what a life coach does, but everyone seems to be becoming one. Someone I know is a life coach living in Israel but wants to work with clients in the US- how is that even possible? When I hear the words "life coach" I think of undertrained therapist.

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 3:31 am
I don't really see the point. Personally, if I need a non-expert opinion on how to deal with a certain issue, I'll ask an older friend, or my parents, or sometimes imamother (which has on occasion given me excellent answers!). And if I need expert help, or if it's something deeply personal, I'll go to a therapist.

I can't really think of an "in between" scenario where I'd feel the need to pay for help, but wouldn't want someone who has years of training.

Most people I know would have enough trouble paying for therapy for a truly urgent issue, let alone paying to deal with a less serious issue.

For someone looking into it, I'd think it's a good idea only if 1. the training is reasonably cheap, 2. the person really truly wants to help people in this way and isn't just looking for a way to earn a living, 3. the person doesn't need this salary to pay for their basic expenses.

If someone needs a steady salary and can afford to put time and energy into training, I'd suggest they go into social work or psychology instead, or for something a bit simpler (in terms of training, that is), they could try working as a madrich(a) in a group home (dunno to what extent that job exists outside Israel). And then they could do life coaching on the side.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 7:23 am
In my not so very humble opinion, life coaching is just a fancy title for an unlicensed therapist.

Sherri

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 7:31 am
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
In my not so very humble opinion, life coaching is just a fancy title for an unlicensed therapist.
Life coaching is actually not therapy, and it's not trying to be therapy. Life coaches will be the first ones to say so.

Do some research, there are plenty of web sites that describe the field.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions