Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby turned a year, now what??

amother

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:51 pm
My baby just turned a year and I decided to stop pumping while im at work. What should I be giving the baby while im out to substitute for pumped breast milk? Has anyone tried almond breeze? or rice dream? im not sure I want to do reg cows milk or formula.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:02 pm
For a few reasons, I had to stop pumping when dd was 8 months. It was really hard because she was too young then to get regular milk. What I did was, I just went to nurse her during the day, but thats not the point here, and when she turned 9 months, my dr. allowed me to give her regular red milk. Why wouldnt u want to give regular milk?

sky

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:03 pm
I would not give formula. I would give milk.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:07 pm
I know s/o who gives goats milk instead of breast milk or formula u can do that. however if ur child is a year already I dont see why you wouldnt want to give regular cows milk.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:09 pm
op
my family has a history of allergy towards cows milk. I dont know if my son is also allergic but I dont want to try at this point.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
op
my family has a history of allergy towards cows milk. I dont know if my son is also allergic but I dont want to try at this point.
You should talk to your dr abt that bec my sil family all have major allergies (cant breathe if touch dairy basically) and my little nephew too. Then they had a girl and she is totally fine. Its worth it to have ur child checked out (they can do tests) since milk is really healthy for infants.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:16 pm
op
why is milk healthy for infants? I myself am not allergic but I know its not good for me- makes me tired and feel heavy. how do I know that even if hes not allergic it wont have that affect on him?

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
op
why is milk healthy for infants? I myself am not allergic but I know its not good for me- makes me tired and feel heavy. how do I know that even if hes not allergic it wont have that affect on him?
The nutrients are good for baby's growth and development I read it somewhere.

momsprince

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 12:10 am
It says on the rice dream container not to give to children under the age of 5.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 12:12 am
If I were you I would call up my dr to see what he thinks u should do based on ur family history of allergies. Good luck!

sky

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 12:13 am
there are mothers on here who are against giving milk, you may have to wait for them to wake up to hear their opinion.
My ped recommends giving whole milk until a child is age 2, he says it helps develop the brain. You may want to discuss this with your pediatrician.

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:20 am
I know a vegetarian family who uses almond and rice milk for the babies after 1 year. cows milk is not the only source of calcium vitamins and fat. check with your dr or allergist. ask how to round out the diet so the baby is getting all the necessary nutrition.

avigail

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:11 am
goats millk is supposedly less allergic, and healthier than cows. its also more expensive, less available, and has a stronger taste which many ppl dont like. idont know what other allergies are in your family,but soy and almond ar very common allergens as well-if youre not testing, you may want to avoid them

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 6:43 am
I used to give my son, then around 15 months goats milk. He got bronchitis, not necessarily from that, but still, I didn't continue giving it.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:15 am
IIRC almond breeze is more nutritious than rice dream and tastes better IMO.

I started giving ds one bottle of formula in the middle of the night...it costs cheaper for me than a bottle of goat's milk and is modified to make it easier for baby to digest...and anyone who knows me knows I am anti formula in general...

the possible milk allergy is a concern that you should see you Dr about as others mentioned, lots of good can come from dairy products in a toddlers diet. (yogurt, cottage cheese etc)

I am assuming your baby eats some solids at this point...maybe just try having the baby be fed real food and a sippy cup with water? Ie. oatmeal, bread with avocado, cooked eggs etc?

Best of luck!

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:18 am
also,if you do give almond breeze as a substitute for your breast milk you should still feed additional solids to your baby since it does not contain as much protein and fat as your milk and will not keep him satisfied...

SorGold

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 12:39 pm
Babies need red milk because of the fat and calcium in it. If you can ensure an adequate amount of fat, you can give watered down OJ with calcium. There really is no nutritional value in rice or almond dream for infants.

Enfamil makes a formula they say is specially formulated for infants after one year. I dont know if its dairy or if they make a non dairy one, but maybe its an option.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
My baby just turned a year and I decided to stop pumping while im at work. What should I be giving the baby while im out to substitute for pumped breast milk? Has anyone tried almond breeze? or rice dream? im not sure I want to do reg cows milk or formula.

Neither of those are an acceptable substitute for mothers milk or formula. They are missing in very essential proteins. Also Almonds are not usually recommended at this age. Do you have a reason for not wanting to give milk? Do you think your child is allergic?

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
op

How about first trying yogurt and cheeses and see if he has a reaction to it. If he doesn't you can try milk. (Assuming the allergy that run in your family isn't dangerous, chv.)

Signed-
Someone who is scared to give her 12 month old, cow's milk.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 10:00 am
Try regular milk-a bit and see what happens. Gave any dairy yet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics