Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Meat as an early baby food - new research?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:45 pm
My doctor said that I should feed my baby meat and chicken now (at six months), even though he's only just started eating solids. He's eaten some grains and some vegetables so far. I was surprised, because we waited quite a while for meat and chicken with my first. The doctor said there was new research that showed how these foods had some nutrients that breastmilk didn't have "enough" of, so they should be introduced earlier.

Anyone heard of this? I have no problem doing it, but I just find it funny how these things can change over a span of just two years...

I don't mind what your "parental philosophy" is, but if you post on this thread and don't introduce solids at this age at all, please say so.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:55 pm
I don't think there is any new research. It's as simple as this:
After 6 months, iron supplies from pregnancy usually aren't there. Meat (and chicken) has iron (and zinc). Hence, meat is a great starter solid.
Grains are terrible to start with. I'd prefer my babies to start on meat, but they usually find other things on the floor first.

Rodent

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:04 pm
I think it's because of the iron, their stores are run down by 6 months. I don't really see why it would be more of an issue than most other foods, I think it's fairly rare to be allergic to meat. I can only suspect that it is generally introduced later because of the texture.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:05 pm
But I went to this same doctor with my last one, and was told to hold off on meat.

And all of the books say to start on different things, but no one says to start on meat. Some say grains (and baby cereals have added iron, right?), some say vegetables, and some say fruit. No one says to start on meat...and I think some of the books I've read have even said to wait on those.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:12 pm
Is your baby low on iron? Maybe his iron levels are fine and the doctor just thinks that meat is better nutrition than grains. Protein vs. carbs, and all that.

My doctor suggested I make my own baby food by pureeing chicken soup with everything in it - pieces of chicken and vegetables, rather than starting with cereal. Although since my baby's iron levels are great b'h, she said feeding altogether is just for 'fun' and unnecessary.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:17 pm
Maybe it's new to him (a lot of doctors seem to stay stuck in the information from way back when), but it's not new to me. I've thought this since my oldest was a baby (5 years ago). <shrug>

It just makes sense. I can't see any reason NOT to start meat. Give chicken from the soup, pureed fleishigs, whatever. I sometimes let them suck on a fleck of a meatball when they're first starting solids.

I'm really curious where this whole starting with grains business originated since it's the worst thing to start babies on, IMO. Wheat preferably shouldn't be introduced for a year. I do not believe the iron in fortified rice cereal is absorbed well at all.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:19 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Wheat preferably shouldn't be introduced for a year. I do not believe the iron in fortified rice cereal is absorbed well at all.

That does make me wonder. Why do they recommend that babies avoid foods with allergy possibilities, like egg whites, peanut butter, milk etc., but don't caution against wheat and other grains?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 9:55 am
(Because there are baby food companies who make baby cereal? Tongue Out)

Someone told me Dr. Sears says not to introduce wheat for a year. I never verified that. I know my mother was makpid, I know there is something in the gemara about it.
None of my babies lasted a year before wheat though. They grab food on their own. B"H we haven't had problems, but I would have preferred for them to wait.

I'm not sure which is better for my 8 month old (who I should officially start on solids seeing how she behaves around food): eating tissues or grabbing cereal from the floor. Probably the latter Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics