Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ear protectors for loud music - would you use them?

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 4:55 am
if someone offered to lend you baby ear protectors for an occasion where there will be loud music, would you use them? it would be free (with lets say a $10 security deposit given back to you when they are returned) I'm thinking of buying a couple and lending them out for free. I guess like a gemach?

I would use them 100% but I don't know if other people would consider it 'nerdy' or 'overprotective'
My only problem is that so far I've only seen them available for 6 months+, not newborn..

I keep seeing tiny little babies at weddings, engagements, parties, with LOUD LOUD music and the babies are RIGHT next to the speakers. It makes me so jittery but I've never said anything to the mothers, I don't know if it would do anything but cause irritation...

sunny90

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 6:21 am
I would love something like that, except I don't know if DS would let me put it on his head, let alone keep it on!

Yael1970

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 6:44 am
I think its a great idea, and you could maybe also produce a leaflet / website / get an audiologist to work with you on promoting hearing health for babies and small children. It is awful the way simcha music is so loud - it damages adults hearing too but at least they have the choice. Also once hearing is damaged, it tends to continue to deteriorate - so the earlier the damage starts the worse it will be when the child is an older adult.

I think it would be a real mitzva to do this. At the very least people should put cotton wool in their babies ears for smachot.

Yael

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:30 am
Pinkbubbles that would be amazing! I would use them...the music at simchas is way too loud, even for adults...I don't know why people think the louder the music = the more leibidige...it's very wrong, you often can't even speak to other attendees at all because you can't hear anything!! Our poor babies have such sensitive ears we should be doing everything to protect them. When at a simcha you'll spot me as the mother who doesn't even dance because I'm holding my toddler ear pressed between my shoulder and hand otherwise he cries from the loudness of the music nebach! and I don't sit in front of the speakers either.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 8:02 am
thanks for the responses.

I have to try and find a newborn size though!

I hate having to take DS to weddings because of the loud music. I avoid it as much as possible. Next wedding I'd probably get a babysitter to sit outside with my child(ren) (really for baby #2 who should be coming along shortly, and I'll have to take it to a couple of weddings in the few months after..)

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 9:48 am
I would; I don't care what people think, they are the looney ones for exposing their ears (and their precious teeny delicate baby ears) to definite danger.

I'd want them to be real comfy though.

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 9:52 am
I got ear plugs for my daughter and covered it up with a headband and hat

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 10:57 am
Ordered these

If they get used a lot I'll get another pair.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 1:27 pm
BNM, I didn't think they made noise-reducing earplugs that are safe for delicate little baby ears; can you please clarify what you have?

Pinkbubbles, nice find! And they're not even very pricey either!

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 1:32 pm
seeker wrote:
BNM, I didn't think they made noise-reducing earplugs that are safe for delicate little baby ears; can you please clarify what you have?

Pinkbubbles, nice find! And they're not even very pricey either!

those foam earplugs in kids size, wasn't baby sized. jusat squeezed it and put in a bit. didn't work well but was better than nothing and was hidden under the hat

jaysmom

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 1:41 pm
I would 1000% use them. At a family wedding recently when my son wanted to dance I insisted that he wear ear plugs, which were really too big for him. Everyone should be wearing earplugs. That music is way too loud. I would not a bring a baby in the room where the music was if the baby was not wearing earplugs.

baschabad

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 1:56 pm
I definitely would use them, in fact- I do!! 8)
Whenever I bring my kids to a wedding wearing them, I get TONS of positive feedback. Everyone thinks they're the best thing next to sliced bread, and all mothers comment that they should probably get a pair for their kids too.

Not only that, but my kids like them. They leave them on, and I'm convinced that the muffled noise is soothing in what could be an intense situation- like a loud chasunah. Here as some pictures of my kids wearing them!

The ones I have are from Amazon, they're called Peltor Junior Earmuffs, and they fit any baby size, as far as I am concerned. They also cost only about 15 dollars each.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

be good

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 3:29 pm
what about the ones that go into the ears? the soft foam disposable ear plugs that you squeeze and insert and they expand to the right size for your ear. is their a reason not to use those? they are far far less noticeable...

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 6:36 pm
You are doing a tremendous chesed!

Loud music causes hearing loss, which cannot be reversed!

Ears are very sensitive. Loud music causes PERMANENT NERVE DAMAGE!

Therefore, any person who has a simcha with loud music is doing a terrible sin, causing permanent nerve damage to the ears of all those who attend.

I know many people who lost their hearing as a result of all these simchas.

What you should do is tell the Ba'al Simcha to LOWER THE VOLUME!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 31 2015, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:18 pm
I personally would either leave the baby at home or keep him in the lobby or the kallah's room or something like that. If, however, I HAD to have the baby in the ballroom for some reason, I absloutely, 100% would use such a thing. Hearing, once destroyed, does not heal. Deafness is forever.

I had no idea such things were available. Good for you for thinking of this project.

louche

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:20 pm
be good wrote:
what about the ones that go into the ears? the soft foam disposable ear plugs that you squeeze and insert and they expand to the right size for your ear. is their a reason not to use those? they are far far less noticeable...

I doubt that they make them sized for infants. Who cares if people notice hearing protectors on an infant? Surely not the infant, and no one else's opinion matters.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 3:02 am
when dh plays for a simcha he dafka doesn't blast the music & he's gotten such compliments for that. I've put cotton in dd's eard before. Great idea & tizku l'mitsvos!

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:13 am
louche wrote:
be good wrote:

I doubt that they make them sized for infants. Who cares if people notice hearing protectors on an infant? Surely not the infant, and no one else's opinion matters.

I haven't seen anything like that. However the headphones completely surround the ear and I can't imagine ear plugs being strong enough (muffling) for loud concerts, fireworks displays, etc.

I don't care what people think eitheir. In fact I actually think they are really cute!

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:16 am
louche wrote:
I personally would either leave the baby at home or keep him in the lobby or the kallah's room or something like that. If, however, I HAD to have the baby in the ballroom for some reason, I absloutely, 100% would use such a thing. Hearing, once destroyed, does not heal. Deafness is forever.

I had no idea such things were available. Good for you for thinking of this project.

I had to bring DS along to several weddinsg for various reasons. Sometimes its not simple to leave them at home or with a babysitter, or even to get one for the place its held at. Especially when the baby is very young, attached to the mother, or is breastfeeding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics