Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tubes to prevent reccurring ear infections

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:32 pm
ENT and pediatrician say 'tubes'. What else can I do?

pecan

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:10 pm
There are different things to try, such as herbs (which take about 6 weeks to start helping) and homeopathic ear drops, and going off dairy or wheat, etc.
I've tried them all with different kids. Herbs helped with two of my kids - it was nettles, elderflower, and I added usnea when I thought they were coming down with something. It didn't help with another kid - who ended up getting tubes. When they came out, his ears had fluid again and I had happened to find a chiropractor with a method that helped for him. I also went to an ent who said because his speech is fine, then instead of giving tubes, I should put him on decongestant which he took for a while about three times a week, and then when I thought he was coming down with something. He took it together with an antihistamine. And B"H, no ear infections for the past year since I did this.

ganizzy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:10 pm
my dd had constant ear infections, she got tubes when she was 1 and never had another infection. I took her home an hour after the procedure started.

shmoozer

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:11 pm
Does she get frequent colds? if you up her immune system so that she doesn't get colds, there won't be a fluid backup. it worked for my son.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:12 pm
Don't know any other method-maybe ask a homeopaph or someone like that! I would say go for it! It is a very simple, quick procedure and most people are thrilled they had the PE tubes inserted. It is a very effective method. I am speaking as a speech therapist whose caseload is often comprised of children who are delayed simply because they had many ear infections and the parents did not have the tubes inserted till the child was much older! An individual with an ear infection or even clear fluid in the ear, has a conductive hearing loss-meaning their middle ear is not hearing as it should. When children have constant fluid they are not hearing well and therefore often miss out on a lot of language! Also each ear infection is known to damage the ear; you can imagine what the middle ear looks like after MANY ear infections! I am not saying that tubes are the only option (though most pediatritians feel it is-mine laughed at my husband when he asked about Kyolic), but I do feel that if no other remedy is working, please go for the tubes. It will really save you much heartache, aside from the constant trips to the Dr., tons of antibiotic dosages to force down, and the speech and special ed therapy that often comes later!

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:11 pm
Been there...
We had tubes put in my son's ears after he turned three (although they should have been put in 18 months prior...) His speech was greatly delayed and he was never comfortable.
The main reason we waited is because dh was unwilling to have him undergo anasthesia if not completely and totally necessary. The ENT that we used was understanding and tried other methods first--all which cleared out his ears temporarily--but none of them "homeopathic"--basically think lots of antibiotics, etc.

After he had the procedure done, my son was a new person. His behavior changed drastically for the better within a day. He started hearing and it was obvious to us 2 hours after the surgery.
You have to think about what is fair for your child and his level of comfort or lack there of.
If you need a pediatric ENT recommendation in NY, I can help you if you'd like. PM me.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:41 pm
Going off dairy helped for my kids. One of them ended up totally fine. The next stopped having ear infections, but still had fluid in his ears all year except for Pesach. I couldn't figure out what we eat all year and not Pesach, besides yeast, and that didn't seem to be it, so he got tubes put in. They worked beautifully.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:39 am
pecan wrote:
There are different things to try, such as herbs (which take about 6 weeks to start helping) and homeopathic ear drops, and going off dairy nd wheat, etc.
I've tried them all with different kids. Herbs helped with two of my kids - it was nettles, elderflower, and I added usnea when I thought they were coming down with something. It didn't help with another kid - who ended up getting tubes. When they came out, his ears had fluid again and I had happened to find a chiropractor with a method that helped for him. I also went to an ent who said because his speech is fine, then instead of giving tubes, I should put him on decongestant which he took for a while about three times a week, and then when I thought he was coming down with something. He took it together with an antihistamine. And B"H, no ear infections for the past year since I did this.

(diffrent amother) my son has a lot of allergies may this b the cuz??

drumjj

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:08 am
my daughter was off dairy soya and wheat and still had massive congestion and at 18 months she had tubes put it and its the best thing ive done im so glad we did it. it was such a simple procedure and since then shes had no ear infection and almost no runny nose either and is so much happier and is finally hearing and talking.

drumjj

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:09 am
just to add before we had the tubes we went to a cranial osteopath and it didnt seem to make any difference at all

stillgrowing

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:12 pm
we were at the pediatrician and on antibiotics every other week bf we got tubes. afterwards, nothing, thank Gd.

runninglate

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 6:21 pm
not from personal experience, but I've heard that chiropacters can help.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:00 pm
Our daughter had a wonderful wonderful experience getting the tubes. She was in and out, no pain, no recovery needed, was up in a half hour. If you want more information just pm me.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:16 pm
be careful with chiro someone I know took their dd to a chiro and all he did was make the fluid go further back in the ear so when they moved and switched dr.s and did the tubes the surgeon found tons of fluid further in the canal.

So please be careful.

estibesty

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:44 pm
juts got my baby 15 months tubes this morning she totally fine giggeling running around and now im happy cuz I hope to expect a easy ear infection free winter poo poo poo
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics