Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
The 5-minute dinner prep thread...please post yours
1  2  Next

fortunate123

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 10:21 pm
We all have those days when there is so little time, we barely have 5 minutes to get supper together. I thought I would post a few supper recipes that take me 5 minutes to make - I dump it all into a pan and let it bake. Please post yours - we can all benefit!

No Cook Ziti:
1 lb. ziti, raw
28 oz jar marinara sauce
milk and water
shredded cheese or cheese slices

Pour raw ziti into pan. Cover with marinara sauce. Fill empty marinara container with milk halfway and other half with water and pour on top. (For more cheesiness, add cottage cheese too). Sprinkle with shredded cheese or top with cheese slices. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1.5 hours.

Chicken and potatoes (takes more like 7 min):
1 large onion
2 large potatoes
2 small sweet potatoes
chicken pieces (I use thighs and drumsticks)
salt, pepper, garlic, paprika

Peel and cube onion, potatoes and sweet potatoes and arrange in bottom of roaster pan. Put chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle with spices. Cover roaster and bake at 400 for 1 hour.

Chicken and baked rice:
Chicken:
Arrange chicken pieces in any pan or baking dish. Brush on preferred sauce - duck sauce, sweet n sour sauce, bbq sauce, Mikee brand "chicken marinade", etc. Bake uncovered at 400 for 1 hour.

Baked rice:
1 c long grain rice (can use other kinds, just not the quick boil boxed kind)
3 tbsp. oil
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 onion chopped
2 c water
dash salt
optional - sliced mushrooms (canned or fresh), green or red pepper, any veggie you like in rice

Put all ingredients into pan. Cover TIGHTLY with foil. Bake at 400 for 1 hour.

Meatloaf:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 egg
approx 1/2 c. matzo meal
1 onion chopped

Mix together. Consistency should be firm, moldable, and not crumbly (Adjust amt of matzo meal or add egg if need be). Arrange in baking dish. Top with favorite sauce - bbq sauce, sweet 'n sour sauce, (even ketchup mixed with mustard works) etc. Bake for 45 min. at 350.

mosma

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 11:34 pm
most of my dinners take 5 min.
easiest is chicken cutlets, spread mustard or honey mustard, sprinkle (or dip into) corn flake crumbs or crushed french's fried onions and bake on 400 for 10 minutes. servie with sliced tomato and a baked potato (6 min in the microwave). one of DS's favorite suppers.

also:
tuna patties:
• 1 (6 ounce) can tuna (water packed. You can use salmon, too but I haven’t tried that yet.)
• 2 medium size eggs
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 teaspoon dill
• 1/4 onion, finely minced (red or white)
• crushed corn flakes, as bonding ingredient
• olive oil, to brown patties
1. Combine 1st 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Add corn flakes till you no longer see any liquid in the mixture, but more is usually better.
3. Divide into equal portions on a cutting board.
4. Shape patties & flatten to 3/4 in thickness.
5. Use spatula to transfer carefully to non-stick skillet & sauté over med-low heat in olive oil till golden brown & crisp on both sides.

delicious salmon
• 1/4 cup basil leaves (I use the frozen cubes)
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• hot sauce (to taste)
• 1 tomato, sliced
• 1 lemon, sliced
• bay leaf
• salt
• pepper
• 4 salmon fillets
1. Rub fish with butter, basil and garlic.
2. Add hot sauce (3-4 drops per slice, depending on your taste).
3. Top each fish with 2 slices of tomato, 2 slices of lemon, a bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Wrap in silver foil to create a steam pouch. I put in 2 fillets per pouch.
5. Bake on 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

exhausted

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 8:10 am
Fortunate, I love the baked ziti recipe, have to try it. I make lamb chops brushed with b-b-q sauce, baked at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with instant couscous or rice made in microwave, which never burns and always comes out perfect, and best of all, doesn't have to be watched.

Salami and eggs

Hot dogs and frozen french fries

Crumbed fish portions baked in the oven with whole baked potatoes.

Pita pizza

EMmom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:10 am
Spaghetti Corn Recipe

1 can cream-style corn
1 can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 cup spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup butter, melted (I usually use less and put in some extra water)

1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Pour into 9x13 pan or casserole dish.
3. Cover with foil.
4. Bake 45-1 hr, stirring every 20 minutes

atlastamom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:46 am
very easy salmon recipe from OldYoung,
PAM baking dish
lay salmon slices in dish
drizzle with a little olive oil
sprinkle generously with McCormick grill mates montreal chicken spice
bake for approx. 25 mins at 350.
I serve this on top of bagged iceberg mix.
(3 mins)

another salmon one:
PAM the baking dish
lay salmon slices in dish
put a couple inches water in the bottom of the dish
drizzle with olive oil
sprinkle generously with season salt and garlic powder
bake for 25 mins. at 350
also really good on top of lettuce

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:54 am
I love this thread! I'm always looking for quickie recipes.

Here are some of mine. (sorry, I don't work with exact amounts)

(not exactly 5 minutes) Saute onions, add any vegetable (peppers, zucchini, carrots, etc... I used cans to save even more time: baby corn, green beans and mushrooms), saute until soft. Salt and season to taste. (I used black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.) Cut chicken cutlets into small pieces, add to veggies, saute for 10-15 minutes.
Serve over rice.

Dump any bottled sauce over chicken bottoms, bake covered for 1.5 - 2 hours.

Chicken burgers:
Pk ground chicken
Small challah roll, soaked in water, excess water squeezed out
1-2 eggs
a little oil
black pepper
salt

Combine and grill for 10-15 minutes.

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 12:12 pm
We had egg drop soup and garlic bread, took a few moments to prepare.

Egg Drop Soup
5 C chicken broth (water and consomme/soup mix works fine)- bring to boil
Add 1 T soy sauce and 1 T white wine- mix
Add 2 T cornstarch mixed with 1/2 C cold water -Mix in well and bring to boil again. Take off heat and immediately stir in 2 XL/3 M eggs, well beaten, dripping in slowly, while constantly stirring. Serve! Can add chopped scallions. Add salt to taste if using salt free chicken soup.

Garlic Bread/Toast
Cut baguette lengthwise in half or use regular bread. Mix in small bowl, 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil, 1 T crushed garlic (I use jarred), 1 T oregano, 1 t basil, 1 tsp parsley flakes, cracked black pepper and a bit of salt. Brush onto bread and toast or spread on baguette and cut through slices without cutting all the way through. Wrap in foil and put in toaster maybe 7 minutes. Serve warm.

Serve with salad

sunshine!

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 12:47 pm
Sesame Teriyaki Salmon

Lay salmon fillet slices in baking dish. Pour Mikee sesame teriyaki sauce over fillets. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375' for 15-20 minutes

Sesame Noodles

Boil water with a pinch of salt. add 1 lb angel hair pasta. Allow to cook (5 min or so). Drain and then add to noodles: 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup sugar. Add scallions for garnish.

Serve salmon over angel hair pasta. YUM!

Liba

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:11 pm
Chicken cooked over brown rice

In large pan put two cups of rice (though you can put more or less depending on the appetites and number of people you are feeding)

On top of the rice put chicken leg quarters. Spice (I put garlic and dill, in the US I put in salt as well, here the Eida chickens are plenty salty on their own)

Add four cups of water

Bake at 350 for an hour and a half.

Smile I love putting this in the oven before we leave for appointments or even on a timer before our trip to the zoo. Coming home to the smell of a supper that everyone loves for 3 minutes of effort is priceless!

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:17 pm
Ok since a few of you mentioned baked rice I'm going to ask this:

Why is it that whenever I tried making rice in the oven it always came out raw, floating in an ocean of water? (IIRC, I baked it for at least 1.5 hours). Can someone give me exact directions on how to get it right? Thanks!

estyk

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:32 pm
I used to have that - then I discovered that if I use boiling water instead of regular, it bakes perfectly.

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:36 pm
estyk wrote:
I used to have that - then I discovered that if I use boiling water instead of regular, it bakes perfectly.

Thanks! Can you tell me your rice/water ratio? Do you bake it covered or uncovered? For how long?

sofaraway

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:39 pm
onlyme wrote:

Why is it that whenever I tried making rice in the oven it always came out raw, floating in an ocean of water? (IIRC, I baked it for at least 1.5 hours). Can someone give me exact directions on how to get it right? Thanks!

I follow the same directions as the stove, I just bake it for as long as the chicken. I am vegetarian so I don't eat it, but my DH insists that his chicken will be baked for 3 hours in order to be really soft.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:43 pm
onlyme wrote:

If you want plain fluffed rice to serve under a saucy chicken

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups water
2 Tbsp oil, optional
1-1/4 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a 7x10 deep pan (different size pans will yield wetter or drier rice). Cover tightly.
Bake in oven preheated to 375 for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and allow rice to sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve right away.

In general, I serve baked rice in pretty scoops from an ice cream scooper because the consistancy of baked rice is a bit different that cooked rice.

If you want a delicious vegetable brown rice, which comes out a bit creamy.

• 1 cup short grain brown rice
• 2½ cups water
• 1 carrot, shredded or grated
• 1 tomato, cubed
• 2 tsp parsley flakes
• 2 Tbsp oil
• 1¼ tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp EACH onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Place all ingredients in a 7 x 10 pan. Bake, tightly covered, for 1-1/2 hour.

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 1:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
onlyme wrote:

If you want plain fluffed rice to serve under a saucy chicken

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups water
2 Tbsp oil, optional
1-1/4 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a 7x10 deep pan (different size pans will yield wetter or drier rice). Cover tightly.
Bake in oven preheated to 375 for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and allow rice to sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve right away.

In general, I serve baked rice in pretty scoops from an ice cream scooper because the consistancy of baked rice is a bit different that cooked rice.

If you want a delicious vegetable brown rice, which comes out a bit creamy.

• 1 cup short grain brown rice
• 2½ cups water
• 1 carrot, shredded or grated
• 1 tomato, cubed
• 2 tsp parsley flakes
• 2 Tbsp oil
• 1¼ tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp EACH onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Place all ingredients in a 7 x 10 pan. Bake, tightly covered, for 1-1/2 hour.

Thank you! I'll try it.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:14 pm
onlyme wrote:

uncle bens rice comes out perfectly. other rice doesn't.

onlyme

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:18 pm
Raisin wrote:
onlyme wrote:

uncle bens rice comes out perfectly. other rice doesn't.

Thanks. I'll try this too.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 2:41 pm
Duck Sauce Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
-3 large sweet potatoes, cubed
-4 chicken bottoms, thighs and legs separated
-garlic powder
-salt
-1-1/4 cup duck sauce

Arrange sweet potato cubes on bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
Place chicken pieces on top. Season generously with garlic powder and salt.
Pour duck sauce over everything.
Bake uncovered at 375 for 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Chicken and Rice (I do this if I need to go out and need supper to bake for a few hours)
-1 cup white rice
-3 cups water
-1-1/4 tsp salt
-4 chicken bottoms
-paprika
-garlic powder
-onion powder
-salt

Place rice, water and salt in a 9x13 pan. Add chicken bottoms on top.
Season very generously with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Cover pan tightly, and carefully place it in the oven, being careful not to splash the water on the chicken and wash off the top spices.
Bake at 325 for 3 hours.

estyk

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 4:19 am
onlyme wrote:
estyk wrote:

Thanks! Can you tell me your rice/water ratio? Do you bake it covered or uncovered? For how long?

Just saw this now -
I use the same rice/water ratio as I would use when cooking the rice -- 2:1 for white rice, a little more for brown rice. I bake it covered tightly for about an hour at 375. For me, this works with the any rice (I see someone mentioned it worked only with Uncle Ben's for her).

jys

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:36 pm
mandksima wrote:
We had egg drop soup and garlic bread, took a few moments to prepare.

Egg Drop Soup
5 C chicken broth (water and consomme/soup mix works fine)- bring to boil
Add 1 T soy sauce and 1 T white wine- mix
Add 2 T cornstarch mixed with 1/2 C cold water -Mix in well and bring to boil again. Take off heat and immediately stir in 2 XL/3 M eggs, well beaten, dripping in slowly, while constantly stirring. Serve! Can add chopped scallions. Add salt to taste if using salt free chicken soup.

Garlic Bread/Toast
Cut baguette lengthwise in half or use regular bread. Mix in small bowl, 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil, 1 T crushed garlic (I use jarred), 1 T oregano, 1 t basil, 1 tsp parsley flakes, cracked black pepper and a bit of salt. Brush onto bread and toast or spread on baguette and cut through slices without cutting all the way through. Wrap in foil and put in toaster maybe 7 minutes. Serve warm.

Serve with salad

Large T is table spoons?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics