Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Gift ideas for grandmother

jelibean

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 10:43 pm
My almost 88-year-old grandmother has a birthday soon, and I'm at a loss for a gift. She doesn't leave her apartment much as she has mobility issues. She loves to read and watch t.v., as well as listen to music.

Last year, I had the kids make her a hand-decorated ceramic mug, plate, etc.

I actually give her two gifts: One for Hanukkah, which is a photo of the kids, and one for her birthday.

Help.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 4:22 am
For my grandmother's 80th, the whole family bought a digital picture frame and pre-loaded it with pics of kids, grandkids and great-grandkids

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 5:01 am
books? dvds? or cds. If she doesn't have one maybe an ipod or mp3 player which you can load with her favourite music.

or
perfume or jewellery or something nice to wear. knitwear maybe.

bubby

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:51 am
A laptop. Seriously. It's perfect for someone who's homebound. My mother (who isn't homebound) just got her second, for her birthday. She skypes her DGC & DGGC, reads emails, shops on line, & even watches her missed TV programs (Coronation Street that airs Friday night!!!!)

OK, she's almost 80, not 88, but still! And she loves it, she even prints stuff. She calls herself a silver surfer! LOL LOL LOL

jelibean

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 3:25 pm
Thanks for the ideas. Bubby, my grandmother has never touched a computer in her life, and I'm not too sure she's inclined to start now!

Anyone have any DVD/CD/book recommendations? FTR, my grandmother is not frum but has a deep love for the Jewish people, and is supportive of my frumkeit, esp. since I'm the only one who's brought her Jewish great-grandchildren thus far. Perhaps a book about Jewish women?

bubby

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 6:59 pm
Hey, don't be too sure! My mom can't even drive, never had a computer, can't work out how to use a cell phone, but she's a whizz (even if she's a bit slow) at using her laptop. Still, you know grandma best! Good luck!

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:38 pm
How about magazine subscriptions? Readers Digest comes in a large print edition if that's a concern.

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:38 pm
A kindle? That might be too high tech.

newmother

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 9:26 pm
my cousin got my grandparents a phone with a display screen for pictures (basically a digital picture frame) they love it! Since it is hanging in the kitchen they will just sit and look at all the pictures of the family for hours!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics