Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Soup for lunch-- possible???
Previous  1  2

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:28 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
I make 1 big pot of soup and right b4 shabbos separate out what I want for the next day and put that in the crock pot (no 'soup stuff', just liquid). Then any leftover 'soup stuff' after diner I put into a storage container, the next morning I put it on top of the soup tog et rid of the chill, but it doesnt get warm enough to worry about it being cooking (the veggies and stuff are still moist, so I have to be careful)

But are you then allowed to add it back into the soup? Only into a kli shishi?

I then put the stuff in a bowl and put the warm soup in a bowl (crock pot was on low, not high) so there is no cooking involved

Soup first? I always thought it was the other way around...ok, thanks for the info!

I do it either way- but the soup isnt hot enough to be an issue- tis warm, but not hot like in an urn. And as louche said- it is in the ladle before the bowl

Amital

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 3:08 pm
louche wrote:
princessleah wrote:
Is there a danger of bacteria if you have this thing going on warm for 19 hours?

Read the owner's manual. One of the meilehs of a crock pot is that it's supposed to keep food hot enough to prevent bacterial growth over the long haul. What I'd be leery of is putting frozen blocks of food into the pot . A frozen block in a warm environment will develop spots that are at exactly the right temperature to incubate spoilage germs while some parts are hot and others are still ice-cold. If you put food in at room temp and it's in pieces, not blocks, it should heat up to a safe temp before germs can be a problem.

My manuals have all specifically warned against leaving the crockpot on warm for longer than a certain time, I think it's a few hours? I get worried about the lower temp and bacteria. That means that I put things in the aren't cooked before Shabbat and just leave it on low the whole time. We do chamin, soup, meatballs, etc...

princessleah

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 3:25 pm
Oy, 8 Jews 45236 opinions!
So what if I cook it on the stove Thursday night, then just put it on "warm" right before Shabbat?
It will just be vegetables, they don't get bacteria, right? Confused

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:23 pm
instead, put it on low- that way you dont have to worry about bacteria, but it really wont cook

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:34 pm
You have to know your crockpot.
My crock keeps the food steaming hot on the keep warm setting.
If I leave cooked food on low for a full Shabbos, I end up with cholenty food or soup.

I suggest you put up a soup one evening, and let it cook until the next night's supper, so you can see how your crock works, and if your soup will be edible for your guests when you serve them on Shabbos.

Rodent

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 9:38 pm
We've done it heaps of times. Chicken and vegetable style soups are fine. We put it in raw and leave it on low.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:23 am
I often have chicken soup for shabbos lunch. YUM! I usually make it Thursday and keep it in the fridge. Warm it up in the crock pot then just put it on "keep warm" until lunch. Definitely leave out the noodles or rice, or you'll have a bunch of mush in the soup. Smile

YoYo

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:17 am
We've started having onion soup as part of our Shabbos day time seuda. I cook it on Thu/Fr (refrigerate overnight) and then leave it on the hotplate till lunch. Delicious!

louche

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 9:29 am
princessleah wrote:
Oy, 8 Jews 45236 opinions!
So what if I cook it on the stove Thursday night, then just put it on "warm" right before Shabbat?
It will just be vegetables, they don't get bacteria, right? Confused

Common misconception. Any food, veggies included, can harbor spoilage germs and give you food poisoning. That includes veggies and pastas.

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 2:25 pm
I always have things overnight on low in the crockpot...soups, cholent, etc....we have never (BH) gotten sick from any of it. And it's always on the warm or low setting depending on which one I use. Non meat soups will be best though because the meat tends to dry out after cooking for sooooo long. Unless you could cook the meat separately and add that in later. but I think you said you were cooking veg.
Oh and I wouldn't precook anything unless you needed to saute onions or something first.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus