Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How to wash netilat yadayim with cast?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 6:07 am
My ds broke his finger yesterday and now has a hard cast covering the pinky and ring finger down to his elbow. It's his left hand and he's a righty, so he doesn't really use that hand. He of course can't get the cast wet and if I pour water over the 3 fingers that are out, only the tips would get wet. Was anybody in this situation? Don't tell me to ask my LOR because I don't have one.

merelyme

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 8:13 am
Wash what you can, and he should try not to touch food with the part of his hand that wasn't washed. Sounds like he wouldn't be able to anyway, right?
When he gets the cast off he should wash his whole hand.
Refuah sheleimah!

drumjj

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 8:22 am
my husband (who is a rav by the way) said to cover it and only wash one hand. just while ur washing the other hand

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:46 am
How do you not have a rov ?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:59 am
I heard you're supposed to cover the cast with a plastic bag and keep the bag on for the whole meal. I think you are supposed to wash the hand with the bag on it.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 2:53 pm
that's what my daughter did when she broke her arm. she washed only her 'good' hand and kept the casted hand covered with a plastic bag whilst eating.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 3:03 pm
Ouch. Refuah Shlemah!

We have had a lot of experience with broken digits and limbs. Most recently, my daughter broke her right thumb (thank goodness she is a lefty) and had a plastic thing instead of a cast, however for the first few weeks, she was not to take it off. we used hand sanitizer to clean, because it was more controllable than water, and she did netillat yadaim on the good hand. once she was able to remove it, she took it on and off as needed. I never really thought about whether it was an issue for her to put the cast thing back on after washing. hmmmm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions