Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Green card renewal - Affidavit

chatz

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:10 pm
We're renewing (or rather, removing the conditions) on a green card. Part of what we need to send in to prove that we have a real marriage is:

Quote:
Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

Can someone explain that to me in plain English? Two letters written by two people who know us saying it's a real marriage and notarized?

pink car

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:29 pm
interesting.
I applied for a green card thru marriage, and never had to do that...I just needed pictures to prove that we were married etc. and my kids birth certificates, joint back accounts and rent/lease or joint house ownership...
Since I applied before we were married for 2 years, we had to do it all over again after 2 years.
And then after 5 years from the first time I received it, I applied for citizenship - not thru marriage - it was easier and took just a few months.

chatz

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:35 pm
This is what they require (now?) to renew/remove the conditions when a green card is based on a marriage less than 2 years old after 2 years. It's from the form's instruction sheet. It's among the different proofs that you need to provide to show the marriage is real. It's probably something very simple, but the technical wording has got me Scratching Head.

jade

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 7:18 pm
Basically, this would go as follows:
I am [full name] residing at [address]. I am over 18 years of age. I have known [couple] since [year], [describe relationship - friend, relative, co-worker, neighbor, member of community, etc.]. We remember when they got married, [if appropriate, describe being at wedding]. State that this is real marriage, couple lives together, does activities together. I certify/affirm under the penalties of perjury that the above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
[Notarized signature]
Also, attach a copy of their driver's license or other photo ID with address and birth date.

Good luck!

rea

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:25 pm
I agree with the last post. We did exactly that (except we didn't do copy of driver's license - which sounds like a great idea). I have never heard of people getting called to testify.

good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics