Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Does anyone get grants for non profit organizations?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:17 am
I work for a non-profit organization and am looking to make more money.

I thought that I may be able to work on getting grants from federations and organizations.

Is there anyone that deals with this sort of thing?

Is is hard/easy to do, how much do you usually get....?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:24 am
I also work for a non-profit. I'm trying to understand your question. You are applying to to foundations for grants for your non-profit? You need a grant writer. It can be very complicated depending on the foundation and the purpose of your non-profit.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:32 am
I'm sorry if I don't come across clearly, it's because I myself don't really understand it myself, lol!

I know that there are foundations that offers money to non profits. I want to know how to go about that. But you say it's complicated...is there a way I can learn how to do this?

Can I ask - what do you do for your non profit? Is it something I can perhaps do for the organization that I work for?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:39 am
Lets help us both out. I'll get to you after work, but I would also appreciate if you help me by sharing my Yad Ezra V'Shulamit posts on fb and RTing them.

It really is a mitzvah to help each other out...it is all for B'nei Yisrael right?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:42 am
We donate to Yad Ezra V'shulamit!

I'd love to help you out on facebook - but I don't have an account - can I still help somehow? I'm leaving work now too....

No computer at home.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:43 am
I've written grant proposals and grant reports before.
Some of the foundations have very specific requirements and it's quite a lot of work, but obviously worth it if you get the money!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:52 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Some of the foundations have very specific requirements and it's quite a lot of work, but obviously worth it if you get the money!

That's good to know!
Is there somehow I can learn to do it properly? I many hours (approximately) would you say it takes to write up one grant? On an average, how much do you receive from a foundation? Is there a list of foundations that I would be able to contact?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

That's good to know!
Is there somehow I can learn to do it properly? I many hours (approximately) would you say it takes to write up one grant? On an average, how much do you receive from a foundation? Is there a list of foundations that I would be able to contact?

What kind of organization do you work for? Different foundations give to different kinds of organizations.
It really all depends, you can be applying for a 5,000 dollar grant or a 500,000 dollar grant.

The last one I wrote was actually a report to the foundation that had provided us with a grant for about 50,000 dollars. The report was about 10 pages single spaced and I actually followed the guidelines that the organization requested.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:58 am
Mirabelle, I was told that I can expect my non-profit to operate for one year until the grants start coming in. That makes me feel so hopeless, is that true?

I'm struggling to build something big, something huge that has a lot of support from community leaders, but no way to support itself other than grants and foundation money.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:00 am
I'll talk to you later op...just pm me okay? And I'll tell you what I know.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:05 am
Mirabelle wrote:
amother wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

That's good to know!

What kind of organization do you work for? Different foundations give to different kinds of organizations.
It really all depends, you can be applying for a 5,000 dollar grant or a 500,000 dollar grant.

The last one I wrote was actually a report to the foundation that had provided us with a grant for about 50,000 dollars. The report was about 10 pages single spaced and I actually followed the guidelines that the organization requested.

Thanks Mirabelle!
Would I be able to contact you to hear about all that's involved?
Do you have much experience with this?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:06 am
BestMomBrooklyn wrote:
Mirabelle, I was told that I can expect my non-profit to operate for one year until the grants start coming in. That makes me feel so hopeless, is that true?

I'm struggling to build something big, something huge that has a lot of support from community leaders, but no way to support itself other than grants and foundation money.

Sorry to say that does sound about right. Although I did work for one organization (educational) that was able to get a small (3k) grant for start up supplies. That was from the local Jewish federation.

Although a bit of a warning, a lot of the big Jewish foundations in the US do not have the same kind of money that they used to! Case in point I had a position at a very established (almost 100 year old) Jewish charitable organization that was grant funded and when they re-applied for grant money to fund my postion they were denied.

They say that things are turning around, but frankly I don't see it just yet.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:22 am
Mirabella-
Is there a way I can get more information about this from you?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
Mirabella-
Is there a way I can get more information about this from you?

You can feel free to PM me. It would really help if I had more details about your organization. For example, some foundations like to give money for educational programming, some give grants for social services type organizations, etc.

You also can always start with your local federation (if you are in the US).

Kayza

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:

I know that there are foundations that offers money to non profits. I want to know how to go about that. But you say it's complicated...is there a way I can learn how to do this?

You can learn how to do this.

1. Formulate what it is that your non-profit does
2. Find potential funders who might be interested in funding what your organization does, or some part of it.
3. Find out who they have given money to in the past, and what their application process is like.

Some funders have a fairly straightforward process, and you should be able to do the application with some help from your financial staff and Executive Director. In other cases, it's going to be complicates, and you would need the help of a grant-writer, which means you need to think through whether the attempt is worth it.

Where are you located?

If you are in NYC, perhaps I can help you; my organization does a fair amount of this stuff (see www.nphd.org)

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 4:36 am
Thanks Kayza!

On to the next thing -

Any grant writers on here that my organization can hire?
How much does a grant writer usually charge?

Kayza

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:

Any grant writers on here that my organization can hire?

Sure. How much benefit you will get from one depends on a lot of factors. The better you do your "homework" the more you will get from one.
Quote:

How much does a grant writer usually charge?

That really depends on whole host of factors. A small relatively easy grant might be as low as $600-700, but it could go as high as thousands, or a percentage of the proceeds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers