Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
HELP!! 21 month old who keeps opening diaper at naptime-

mommy24

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 4:41 pm
the subject line says it all. Lately, my 21 month old has been taking off her clothes and dirty diaper before I take her out of the crib in the morning and at naptime. She then shmears the dirty diaper all over the crib and herself. Sometimes this even happens twice a day. My other kids did this as well, but only once or twice and then never again. This baby enjoys it, she doesn't scream no crying- eventually she will say "I need wipe" and I know I am heading into trouble. The room is stinking up, the sheets need to be changed- as well as the blankets and pillows and toys inside. I need to scrub down the crib and give her another bath- that she hates. I am really going crazy with this already. Anyone else deal with this so often- what can I do? IS there anything to do. And then I need to scrub down the bathtub again. I really would apppreciate any ideas. TIA.

Shuly

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 5:15 pm
Make sure she is wearing a onesie that snaps on bottom. If she is able to open the snaps, dress her in a one-piece pajama - but put it on backwards - with the zipper in the back so she can't open it.

gumdrop

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:11 pm
The one piece pajama is a great idea. I had to do that too. I feel for you it is so annoying. BH I never had a dirty job but she kept taking off her pamper and made wet like that it wasn't even always in the crib. She did it whenever she was in the mood. You can use safety pins too to attach her pants to her top if you don't want to change her during the day.

Hang in there! I hope this passes real quick! Hug

greeneyes

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:17 pm
My daughter did this a few times & it was awful. I started putting her sleepers on backwards, & that solved the problem. For nap time, I dressed her in a backwards sleeper as well. Even though it was annoying to change her in the middle of the day, it was better than cleaning up an awful mess.

Good luck!

mommy24

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 7:47 pm
thanks everyone for the responses.

I put her in onsies that snap under her- either she unsnaps them or since she is really tiny she can pull her legs through. She is amazing at taking off her clothes.

About putting her clothes backwards, thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of that, but I don't think my husband will go for it- we don't wear things backwards. I will ask my husband.

Rikola

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:00 pm
Backwards is a great idea. If you have issues with that they do make clothes that are made to zip up the back. I know I have a few from Baby Gap like that. Good luck!

HappyMommy23

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:51 pm
Another vote for the backwards. I had to do backwards and safety pin as after some time my kids finagled their way out of it. But for most backwards is enough!

ETA since you write that she enjoys shmearing and playing with it you may want to give her opportunity to play with different creams or other such textures, like shaving cream in the bath or playdough, etc. for she may crave such textures. Just a thought as I saw this with my daughter.

Last edited by HappyMommy23 on Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

LEMON

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:52 pm
pampers can also go on backwords.

mama-star

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 9:07 pm
duct tape the diaper tabs

amother

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 9:25 pm
HappyMommy23 wrote:
Another vote for the backwards. I had to do backwards and safety pin as after some time my kids finagled their way out of it. But for most backwards is enough!

ETA since you write that she enjoys shmearing and playing with it you may want to give her opportunity to play with different creams or other such textures, like shaving cream in the bath or playdough, etc. for she may crave such textures. Just a thought as I saw this with my daughter.

I was going to mention the safety pin.
About the backwards clothes: you may want to ask a shaila if it comes to that but hopefully you'll be able to find some zipper int he bag stuff easily and inexpensively.
I remember my finger painter (who's now the mother of my grandchildren, hi kiddo, ok, I just hit the amother button Twisted Evil ) first demonstrating her skills at her grandmother's house, in a borrowed white crib with beautiful white linens.
I can laugh now. A bit maniacally, but I can laugh.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
HappyMommy23 wrote:

About the backwards clothes: you may want to ask a shaila if it comes to that but hopefully you'll be able to find some zipper int he bag stuff easily and inexpensively.
I remember my finger painter (who's now the mother of my grandchildren, hi kiddo, ok, I just hit the amother button Twisted Evil ) first demonstrating her skills at her grandmother's house, in a borrowed white crib with beautiful white linens.

embarrassed Don't worry, my kids have paid me back! LOL

gem

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 3:24 am
Both of these companies sell (exclusively) pajamas that zip (and snap!) up the back:
http://www.escapeejays.com/
http://www.littlekeepersleeper.....t.asp

This one, too, but it looks like they aren't accepting any new orders right now:
http://mookimoo.com/

mommy24

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 8:17 am
Thanks everyone for all the ideas- now I can't remember if we don't wear things backwards or insideout (or both). I am scared to try the safety pins, becuase she will totally pull them off - no question abt that. The duct tape idea I will try today at naptime- plenty of duct tape in the house from when the older kids were into duct tape crafts. hopefully that will work.

Thanks again everyone for the advise.

HappyMommy23 wrote:

thanks for the idea, I let her play with playdough, shaving creams, even finger painting, etc- but I guess I should be doing it with her more often, Thanks for the advise!!

Last edited by mommy24 on Wed, Dec 29 2010, 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy24

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 8:23 am
gem wrote:
Both of these companies sell (exclusively) pajamas that zip (and snap!) up the back:
http://www.escapeejays.com/
http://www.littlekeepersleeper.....t.asp

This one, too, but it looks like they aren't accepting any new orders right now:
http://mookimoo.com/

I just checked these websites out, definately more than I would normally spend on pajamas but totally worth it to buy a couple.

thanks again.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 9:46 am
OldYoung wrote:
amother wrote:
HappyMommy23 wrote:

embarrassed Don't worry, my kids have paid me back! LOL

So much for amothering.
(Actually, you were quite advanced, like 19 months at the time.)

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jan 03 2011, 8:55 pm
if you want to feel better about it, I'm about to spend a million bucks on size 6 onesies because my 4 year old daughter can't unsnap her onesie so we do onesies over stretch pants. She's up to size 6 now. eek. those are hard to get. she CAN get out of sleepers zipped up the back----- hypotonic and VERY flexible--- but not enough small motor control for the snaps.

Why do I care so much? Not only did she do this... but she shmeared all over her twin brother. oh yeah.

and nope, neither of my 4 year old twins are even close to being potty trained--- both special needs.

I'm almost at the point where I'm willing to let the twin brother sleep in regular pajamas, but a few times I've walked into their room to see him buck naked.... so I guess I'm getting enough onesies for both. *sigh*
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics