Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What to do when baby won't sleep b/c not feeling well

amother

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:23 pm
When my ds gets sick I get no sleep and try every position and place to make my child comfortable and nothing works. He is 11 months old. The other night we tried my bed, his crib, a stroller....finally he went to sleep from being rocked for 30 minutes and stayed asleep for a few hours.
I hear him on the monitor right now and he's coughing and sneezing and I am about to go to sleep but I am just wondering what I should do if he wakes up at night because he's congested. How do I help relieve some of his symptoms and how do I help him go back to sleep?

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:27 pm
Run a hot shower in the bathroom and let it steam up. Bring him in for at least 15 min (also bring a blanket because when you leave, he will be cold).

amother

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:29 pm
THanks....do you think I should do this in the middle of the night?

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:30 pm
If he's congested enough that you think it might interfere with his breathing or he wakes up himself, then yes. I have done it quite a few times last winter. Bh, so far this winter I haven't had to yet.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:32 pm
There is not much else to do for an infant with a cold and cough right? Steam....dehumidifier...maybe elevation in the crib....thats about all?

cubbie

Post Thu, Jan 06 2011, 12:02 am
humidifyer with euculyptus oil in the water, put it on a timeswitch so it's coming on all through the night for 15-30 minutes every 1.5-2 hours.
Saline solution nose drops/spray.
Only go in if the baby cries and wakes up, very often they are coughing, congestested and fussing but still sleeping and we are the ones who are more bothered and keep them awake.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 06 2011, 10:17 am
Thanks cubbie. You are so right, I was awake over an hour after I heard ds having a coughing fit but didnt go in and he went back to sleep.
He threw up a ton of mucous today. I think I will have him looked at by the dr. since he is coughing a lot but I do not think its more than viral.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics