Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Betty crocker gluten free mixes

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 12:08 am
I found them in florida, and they are INCREDIBLE!

I made my son waffles for the first time since his diagnosis of crohns disease, and they came out looking like normal waffles and tasted like regular waffles!!

Gluten free bisquick!! with an MK hesksher!!

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 12:15 am
Really? I've tried the yellow cake mix and the choc chip cookie mix, and didn't care for either. But I did use egg substitute too, so that may have affected the taste and texture. BTW they sell them in NY too.

cbsmommy

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 12:56 am
We tried the GF bisquick and I while it tastes ok, I'm not thrilled with the thought of relying on it too heavily. It's mostly starches and I much prefer homemade stuff with millet, teff, sorghum...basically a whole grain with actual nutrients, rather than empty calories.

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 1:18 am
yeah but if you have a child that is picky and feeling left out of "real food"

It's incredible for him to be able to eat the same thing as everyone else...

I have tried to make things from scratch, but for some reason they do nto come out so great...
But the brownies and the bisquick were incredible... Cannot even tell that it's gluten free...

cbsmommy

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 1:35 am
My family ONLY goes for the from scratch stuff. When I use a mix, I get complaints (and kvetchy eaters). I've got 3 who are gf, 2 that are mostly df as well.

I only bake gf. I only cook gf. I let in packaged sealed junk, but it doesn't go into the microwave or the oven (we've taken midnight trips to the ER, so I've become somewhat strict).

Nobody is left out, because everyone eats the same meals/deserts. Lunch boxes are the only things that change.

It was just easier. I did the chesbon. Enough rice flour to make pineapple kugel for everyone is cheaper than someone trying to cheat on their diet and ending up in the ER. It's also cheaper to buy brown rice lasagna noodles and serve em to the whole family, than it is to wonder if hubby washed the dishes carefully enough.

To compensate...

I make banana muffins frequently. I add in flax seed to make em slightly healthier.

For cakes I like to use glutenfreemommy's chocolate cake recipe; I have an amazing recipe for yellow cake and carrot cake, and brownies I just sub brown rice flour/tapioca starch/potato starch for the regular Betty Crocker recipe.

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 1:41 am
I would love that recipe...

I have done a lot of trial and error.... I wish I could make the entire family gluten free, but it's complicated..

cbsmommy

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 1:58 am
Which recipe?

Chocolate cake recipe:
http://glutenfreemommy.com/no-.....cake/

Yellow Cake recipe:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/......aspx (just sub rice milk/almond milk for the reg. milk to make pareve. also I use lowfat mayo and brown rice flour with no noticeable change in taste/texture.)

Carrot cake/banana muffins/and brownies coming after I take the chicken out of the oven...

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 2:05 am
brownies would probably be the best to test in my family

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 3:07 pm
I forgot to mention, the cake doctor came out recently with a new cookbook of ALL GF recipes! http://www.amazon.com/Cake-Mix.....r=8-1

I'll bli neder post my brownie recipe later. DD woke up with an ear infection, it's been a loooong day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics