Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Curse Words -- Forbidden or Vulgar?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 11:57 am
In the intimacy thread, someone claimed that shouting curse words is not assur, it's vulgar.
Isn't spewing curse words an issur of nivul peh?

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:13 pm
If away from the kids, and needing to get out some frustration, go for it!!! Using these words around the kids is in very bad taste. Make up your own if you must. Like, "Son of a nutcracker!" (Elf)

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:21 pm
I don't think it's assur (is nivul peh an actual lo ta'aseh?), but I try my best to stay sensitive. I like the fact that when I can hear my boss yell "SH*T!" from the other room, I cringe just a little bit.

We also do the fake-curse-word thingy -- from "dagnabbit" to "shoot" to "flippin'" to the rare-and-only-for-very-special occasions "frak". Wink But even those only became okay in my house once we were all teenagers. As kids, that NEVER would have worked. We got in trouble for "stupid" or "idiot"!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:23 pm
We discussed the halachic aspect before. Not the vulgarity one. I don't think anyone can argue that nivul peh is an aIdel and refined loshon.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:24 pm
Depends on what word, what context, and what culture. Many words have lost their content and are just stronger "ooops" or joking. I've never asked for the exact limit, though, and it seems something most of the community struggles with one way or another... I've heard some words from some chashuve people!

"Sh*t! Gamzu le tova!" (woman raised in one of the frummest kehilot)
"You moron/c*nt" (jokingly, from a charedi rebbetzin to her friend)
And countless f*ggot, I'm going to kill you/chop your head off/rip your eyes off, moron, ... in all circles, either as curse or as word in a sentence.

I'm willing to bet a psak would be very culture dependent.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:37 pm
I have no interest in being convinced to use such language, even away from kids.

Where did we discuss the halachic aspect, CM?

tralala

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:39 pm
what is vulgar?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:50 pm
It means disgusting, in a crude way.

tralala

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:52 pm
prost in yiddish?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 1:01 pm
I'll let someone who speaks Yiddish answer that. I don't know if it's the exact same connotations.

Neveilus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions