Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO recipe for chicken breast in crock pot

pinktichel

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:37 am
Looking for a recipe that uses boneless chicken breast and a starch, like rice/potatoes. Dh isn't fond of cooked vegetables (except mushrooms and onions) and we don't eat beans.

TIA

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 6:34 am
Are you looking for a standard dinner or something for Shabbat lunch?

IMO, chicken breast don't do well in the crock pot for more than 5 hours or so because they get dried out very quickly.

Although I did make a crock pot gumbo once... only the rice was a gummy mess... (obviously I left out the shrimp)

http://southernfood.about.com/.....4.htm

pinktichel

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 7:52 am
standard dinner.
I'm home all day so it's not like it will be cooking from 7 am...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 8:45 am
Chicken bottoms come out better in the crockpot, but as long as you have enough of a saucy liquid in there, the chicken breasts should be fine.
Do you have salsa at home? You can pour it over the chicken breasts, along with any other seasoning you like. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Or make a honey mustard sauce (3/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup mustard.)
Or use any thick bottled salad dressing.
I would put some sliced onions on bottom of the chicken to help give the chicken more moisture.
For rice, do you have crockpot bags, and the time to stick it in the crockpot with boiling water 1 hour before chicken finishes cooking?

pinktichel

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 8:57 am
ra_mom wrote:
Chicken bottoms come out better in the crockpot, but as long as you have enough of a saucy liquid in there, the chicken breasts should be fine.
Do you have salsa at home? You can pour it over the chicken breasts, along with any other seasoning you like. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Or use any thick salad dressing.
I would put some sliced onions on bottom of the chicken to help give the chicken more moisture.
For rice, do you have crockpot bags, and the time to stick it in the crockpot with boiling water 1 hour before chicken finishes cooking?

No salsa/crockpot bags here.
I've read through all your recipes and they sound amazing but Dh wont go for chicken on the bone/meat/beans so I'm really limited. I guess I can stick to other recipes, just wanted to try out a crock pot dinner since they sound so easy and yummy!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:02 am
pinktichel wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Or use any thick salad dressing.

No salsa/crockpot bags here.
I've read through all your recipes and they sound amazing but Dh wont go for chicken on the bone/meat/beans so I'm really limited. I guess I can stick to other recipes, just wanted to try out a crock pot dinner since they sound so easy and yummy!

Thanks! I would make any saucy chicken breast in the crock. And if you have enough sauce to cover the chicken with something placed under it as well, I would place sweet potato underneath. Should be yum.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:07 am
chicken breasts
chopped celery, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes

cook in water with dry white wine, salt, pepper, thyme, and anything else you love.

serve over rice

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:16 am
I make chicken (boned chicken) and rice all the time in the crockpot. I usually use Pam to spray the crock pot. Is it better with crockpot bags?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 9:24 am
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
I make chicken (boned chicken) and rice all the time in the crockpot. I usually use Pam to spray the crock pot. Is it better with crockpot bags?

The crock pot bag is used if you want plain steamed rice to serve with the main dish, but don't want to make another pot dirty.
It cooks separately, with just plain boiling water, in the a knotted crock pot bag. And it is placed on top of the chicken in the crock, one hour before chicken is done.

elmos

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 2:09 pm
I take chicken cuttlets and add rice water onion soup mix spices and thats it. I preffer to chop the cuttlets up so it mixes in well I use it for supper or shabboss lunch and if dh not going to eat I amy add a few veg but he doesnot even like fresh onion in it but you can add onion and any other veg your crew may like. Can cook on low or high

mc

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:08 pm
Can you please give measurements for this recipe? I'd like to try it for dinner? Also, have you ever tried it with brown rice? Thanks.

elmos

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:04 pm
I have don brown or white rice I have done equal parts of both also take 1 full cuttlt mayb 2 depending on the size lately my cuttlets have been huge chop it up into small pieces I preffer bite size or close to it add that 2c rice a packet of onion soup mix and a little bit of ppper and garlic powder and at least 7c water and let it cook may need more water you can use less soup mix and more spices if you are so inclined cook on low for best results I have kept on warm for shab day.

mc

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 4:30 pm
Thanks. Sounds yummy!

mrsERK

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 4:33 pm
This is really yummy - http://shine.yahoo.com/channel.....1116/

It doesnt have a starch in it, but all it takes is a quick rice to go with it and its a great meal (or rolls to make it into sandwiches)

wispalover

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 5:27 pm
Got this from these recipe boards- BEST and easiest recipe ever. DH LOVES!!

Pulled Chicken:

1.5 lb chicken cutlets (4 halves)
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup your favourite BBQ sauce - I always use tons more so the chicken is totally covered
1 T brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T soy sauce

In crockpot, layer chicken, onion, BBQ sauce, garlic, and soy sauce. Cover and cook on High for 3.5-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Using 2 forks, shred chicken. Use in sandwhiches and add toppings - mayo, lettuce, pickles...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey