Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When and how did you get rid of the bottle/pacifier?

maofboys

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 9:58 pm
How old was your child (toddler) when you took away the bottle? Pacifier? or sleep comfort item?
and how was your/ or the child's experience when you took it away?

my son is almost 2 and I think it’s time to get rid of his bottles (which we mostly use for sleeping) but I hate to hear him cry (I know I sound like a new mom and I have other kids so I know it’s not a painful cry but for some reason with this child it just kills me).

YALT

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 10:07 pm
with DS he was at the stage of throwing everything in the garbage. So I told him to throw his pacifier in the garbage and he did. That night, he asked for it, and I told him "don't u remember? you threw it in the garbage." He said oh and turned over and went to sleep. Never asked for it again until his sister came around.

DD was very hard. When I went away for a shabbos recently I conveniently "forgot" her bottle at home. So she couldn't have it. When we came home after Shabbos, there weer no more bottles to be found in the kitchen. So each night she'd say "tomorrow we go buy more" and I'd tell her OK. tomorrow we'll look in the store if they have more" Now that she's been off for a month, I'll take her into the store and show her "uh-oh! they don't have bottles here. But look! they have this book! Should we buy this instead?" and that's it. I did the same thing with the pacifiers about half a year ago.

Bliss

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 10:11 pm
With one of my kids (around 2) we were away for a few days and I forgot the bottle. He was crying for it when he went to bed, cried for it in middle of the night, I almost cried along, but when we came home he did not want the bottle anymore. So there it went. With my other kids I think I got rid of it around the time I was training them.

YALT

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 5:28 am
forgot to write - DD is almost 3 now. So she got rid of the bottle at about 2.10 and the pacifier at about 2½.
DS got rid of pacifier at about 15 months and the bottle, I don't remember exactly. But we changed him to straw(sippy) cup at around 6-8 months to help with his feeding therapy. So he wasn't old enough to be attached to it and not be able to let go.

Basimcha

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 7:51 am
At age 2 1/2 we got rid of DS pacifier. He was ok without it---or at least I thought so. Three months later he started sucking his thumb instead and he still does it. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics