Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Fixation with light - normal?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 22 2011, 11:10 pm
Is it normal/appropriate for a 2-month-old to gaze at lights? I.e. lamps or ceiling lights, even the chandelier in my parents' house that I find too bright to look at, the baby can just stare and stare and doesn't seem to want to pay attention to anything else (at other times she'll pay attention to other things, but whenever lights catch her eye she just gets totally hooked) Is that normal at this age? I literally have no clue what such a tiny baby is supposed to be doing; I read plenty but still don't get a clear picture of what a 2-month-old should look like in real life...

amother

Post Sat, Jan 22 2011, 11:16 pm
Seems to be normal to me- my baby is the exact same age and doing the exact same thing! Wonder what they find so amusing about lights but I guess something...

Pandabeer

Post Sat, Jan 22 2011, 11:29 pm
so funny - my youngest also had the same hobby, wherever there's a light he would look at it, so I bought him a mobile with lights and he was quiet with it

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 1:56 am
Absolutely on target for this age. I find that my babies who stare at lights turn out very smart. Smile

kaffe

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:16 am
my dc did the same thing until he was about 7 months old (obsessed with lights!) I was so worried, but he is b"h perfectly fine Smile

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:17 am
Since little babies have very limited vision, they appreciate lights and bright colors that they can see well.

My ds was looking at lights but never at my face at 2 months old. He would smile when I talked to him, but he would look up at the sky while smiling. When this continued after he turned 3 months old, I became concerned. I took him to an eye doctor at 5 months old, and he did have some vision problems, but they were resolving themselves. However, I wouldn't worry unless the baby really only looks at lights at 3 months old. Otherwise it's normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics