Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Milchig Scalloped Potatoes

shmeichel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:18 pm
Im looking for a MILCHIG scalloped potatoes recipe.
something with cheese;)

morah

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:28 pm
Make a cream sauce-

flour
butter
milk
seasoning (I like garlic and basil, rosemary is nice too)

Melt the butter in the pot, mix in the flour; add the milk and stir constantly till it thickens (you'll know- it gets frothy and coats the spoon); season as desired.

Then, you arrange the potatoes as you would for any other scalloped potato recipe- thin slices, layered. Pour the cream sauce over each layer. Top with cheese. Bake for an hour or so (325) and finish by broiling the top for 2 minutes.

shmeichel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:36 pm
It sounds good!!

Do you by any chance have some type of measurements? I really dont want to mess it up!

lollygirl

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:55 pm
Recipe #1
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
paprika

1 In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
2 Let sit for a minute.
3 Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
4 Season with salt and cayenne.
5 Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
6 Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
7 Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
8 Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
9 Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
10 Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
11 Top with some paprika for color.
12 Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350F.

Recipe #2
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 to 3 1/4 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
8 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with the butter and set aside.

Place the cream in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper, and stir well. Add the potatoes, adding more cream if necessary to completely cover the potatoes. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are barely fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat.

With a large spoon, transfer 1/3 of the potatoes with some of the cream to the prepared dish, forming an even layer on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the cheese, and continue layering the potatoes and cheese, ending with cheese on top. Place on a baking sheet and roast until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve hot.

Both have different tastes, the second much richer due to the swiss cheese but both really are equally delicious! (DH prefers the first recipe, DC prefers the second lol)

morah

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:56 pm
I don't really do measurements, I do use proportions. The butter-flour mixture is called a 'roux'. Use equal parts butter and flour. You'll want to use about a tbsp of roux for every cup of milk- and how much milk will depend on how much sauce you want (personally, I like to drench the potatoes in sauce. But you don't have to if you don't want to). Seasonings- you have to judge for yourself how much garlic and other herbs you want (dried or fresh, doesn't matter); I usually put in 2-3 cloves of minced garlic, but if you're feeding kids or going out later, you probably want to stick with just one. You can replace the milk with cream if you want to be really Twisted Evil but I assume you want to feed your family something somewhat healthy. Oh, and you can be as liberal with the cheese as you'd like!

shmeichel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:59 pm
Thank you and thank you!!! Ill let you know which one I make and how it comes out:)

(it will prob be a mixture of morahs and lollygirls 1st recipe:))

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 7:22 pm
I have an absolutely delicious recipe that's a mixture of potatoes and sweet potatoes. I made it for Shevuos and it was devoured, with everyone being upset I didn't triple the recipe (I doubled it). If you want the recipe, I can try to find it.

CK2

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 9:02 pm
Sounds good the sweet potato/potato one. If you find it, I'd love to have the recipes.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 9:51 pm
Scalloped potatoes

1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
1 pound potatoes (I use red potatoes) (about 4 medium)
1 cup grated jarlsberg (I used cheddar (tried mozzarella, and it was not good at all)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper
1 1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven on 350. Grease a 12 inch casserole dish (I used a disposable round tin). Cut potatoes 1/8 inch thick. Place a layer of potatoes, alternating between sweet and regular, overlapping. Top with 1/2 the cheese, thyme, and salt. Repeat with remaining potatoes, top again. Sprinkle pepper, pour cream over everything.

Bake potatoes until golden and cheese is bubbly. About 1 hour 10 minutes.

nylon

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:05 pm
my recipe is almost the same, but I also dot with butter and use a clove of garlic. So good. So fattening. I like the Yukon Gold potatoes.

be good

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:33 pm
whats jarlsberg?

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:39 pm
Love this. Great idea for a milchig side. Yay

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:42 pm
be good wrote:
whats jarlsberg?
I think its a swiss cheese or something

nylon

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 8:25 pm
It's a Norwegian-made version of Swiss cheese. Any decent Swiss type cheese will do. Back in my non-kosher days I preferred Gruyere, but that's very hard to find kosher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals