Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to teach toddler to drink from a straw?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 9:43 pm
How do I get my 17 month old to drink from a straw? He has very low tone and has speech delays. I'm not sure if this is connected with his inability to drink from a straw. Does anyone have tips how to get a toddler to drink from a straw?

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 9:52 pm
Try teaching him with something thicker like leben, and you pull the food up basically until the top of the straw, like that as soon as he gives the first sip he will feel the results, otherwise he might give up before the drink actually reaches the top. That is what worked for my kids.

Capitalchick

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:01 pm
My dd didn't learn until she was about 20 months old. Basically, I think you could try what the previous poster said, which is a good idea, and you could also just keep giving your child drinks with a straw. I'm pretty sure that within 2-3 days, they'll get it. My dd just chewed on the straw and played with it, until one day she just suddenly sucked on it and her expression was like "OMG!!!"....and she knew how to do it from then on!

mamommommy

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:04 pm
Use a cup that you can squeeze so that initially you can squeeze the liquid into his mouth and he'll begin to get the idea. A juice box is also perfect (you can get milk boxes, or use juice if you want). There are also brands that make straw cups just like that. I think rubbermaid has one if I recall correctly.

If your son can suck a bottle, then he knows how to suck well enough and should be able to learn to suck from a straw. If he has low muscle tone, then I would say not to start with something thick, like Leben, since it will take a stronger suck to pull that kind of thicker liquid up through a straw.

momo4

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:13 pm
A drink box!!! Works wonders, in 2 seconds you got your toddler or even baby drinking with a straw. Put the straw of the drink box into childs mouth, squeeze the box a drop, just enough for the child to get a taste, automatic instinct, they'll start sucking. Just did it with my 9 month old (was someplace with no drinks, only a box drink Wink )

2busy

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:15 pm
I go for the drink box as well or applesause as well

geemum

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:16 pm
Tell him to kiss the straw. Same action as sucking, so juice will come up. Drink some first so no empty sucking.

bnm

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:31 pm
if he is getting therapy for the low tone mention it to the therapist. my 2 year old was just diagnosed with low muscle tone but is using a straw since she is 9 months old.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 12:36 am
If your toddler has been using a sippy cup, try transitioning to one with a straw built in. I've been using what I think are the Nuby brand and my son understood quite well what to do after a few times as I showed him you don't turn it upside down. This is healthier than a juice box (I give water in the sippies) and less messy than a little one using a straw with a cup / applesauce container.

Kayza

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
How do I get my 17 month old to drink from a straw? He has very low tone and has speech delays. I'm not sure if this is connected with his inability to drink from a straw. Does anyone have tips how to get a toddler to drink from a straw?

Why are you bothering?

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 10:17 am
Kayza wrote:
amother wrote:

Why are you bothering?

its a good oral mucle exercise

mamommommy

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 10:48 am
Kayza wrote:
amother wrote:

Why are you bothering?

It's better for overall oral motor development. Learning to drink from a straw can hone oral motor skills that will continue to be used, whereas a sippy cup does not. The sippy cup is not appropriate for long-term use for any child but only as a transition from bottle/breast to a regular cup (despite the fact that it's very convenient).

Especially in a child with speech/oral motor delays, a sippy cup should not be used as it teaches the child an incorrect way of using their tongue when they drink (a tongue thrust) which can also carry over into speech issues.

Kayza

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 3:13 pm
mamommommy wrote:

It's better for overall oral motor development.

Then that should be discussed with the PT / OT who is working with the child. If the child doesn't haveo ne - that needs to be addressed.
Quote:
The sippy cup is not appropriate for long-term use for any child but only as a transition from bottle/breast to a regular cup (despite the fact that it's very convenient).

Especially in a child with speech/oral motor delays, a sippy cup should not be used as it teaches the child an incorrect way of using their tongue when they drink (a tongue thrust) which can also carry over into speech issues.

I agree completely. I wasn't suggesting a sippy cup - it's not necessary and can cause problems. I was asking why not skip that step. If this is what the therapist is suggesting, that's a different story, but then the therapist should providing guidance.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:

One of my kids had the same issue and did fine with a straw, and was able to figure it out with no problem. a speech therapist told me it was good to give him straws, especially small juice box straws, and to keep only the very tip in his mouth and encourage him to suck. Its easier to suck the further back in the mouth the straw is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics