Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What to bring from Israel?

Chana Liba P

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:09 am
Will be in Israel a month befor Pesah. What should I bring back to Europe? Please help me to make a list! Thanks!

Liba

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:23 am
I would bring back:

Tea, long underwear (especially for the kids) though it may be that you don't need it this year any more but maybe for next winter?, Jewish toys, books and games, kippot, any silver you were planning on purchasing, name necklaces for gifts, olive wood stuff, havdala candles, tzniusdig clothing, tights.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 6:45 am
Yom tov clothes, if you are going to buy them anyway.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 7:15 am
Tzanua clothes, halva, my SIL likes a certain brand of spiced bread crumbs. Tzitzis and kippot and women's head coverings may be less expensive here.

But they may feel that you think they are pining, so ask them. Wink

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 10:02 am
I am very interested in purchasing some pretty head scarves and head coverings when I am in Israel around Shavuot this year.

What are the best places to buy? I will be in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 11:19 am
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
I am very interested in purchasing some pretty head scarves and head coverings when I am in Israel around Shavuot this year.

What are the best places to buy? I will be in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
YeshaSettler sells them!

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 4:02 pm
Depends where in Europe you live and how expensive Pesach food is there. If I would be in Israel a month before Pesach, I would bring as many KFP supplies as I could, because everything here is ten times as expensive as there. (Are they on the shelves that early, though?)

Otherwise, how about nice hagados and afikoman treats?

WriterMom

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 4:05 pm
sarahd wrote:
Depends where in Europe you live and how expensive Pesach food is there. If I would be in Israel a month before Pesach, I would bring as many KFP supplies as I could, because everything here is ten times as expensive as there. (Are they on the shelves that early, though?)

Yes, but factor in shipping. I brought groceries back once and paid a fortune in overweight charges!

I always like books (and getting bestsellers in Hebrew at the airport bookstore gives me a kick) but they're also heavy; tichels and clothing, depending upon how easy it is to find what you like at home, can be both much cheaper in Israel and are relatively light to pack.

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 4:13 pm
I said "as many supplies as I could", meaning as much as I had weight for. There are things that are not so heavy but worthwhile bringing, eg. ground nuts, baking powder (which I happen not to use on Pesach, but plenty of people do. They cost, I believe, 30 agorot per packet in Israel, and the equivalent of NIS 3 here.) potato starch, etc.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 4:16 pm
Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I am very wary of overweight charges on airlines now. Last time I flew I was 1 lb over the limit, and they were going to make me pay a huge (flat) fee. I ended up changing my light cotton broomstick skirt for a heavy denim skirt in the bathroom, and then was under Smile

I have an Israeli friend who is nostalgic for Israel newspapers, stuck OOT here, so I try to get the latest copy of the major dailies on my last day and bring them home for him.

bnm

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 4:46 pm
crinkly BBQ lays potato chips, the osem packets of some sort of gravy, kosher crest and whatever other company tooth paste...

that's basically all, we can get everything else in the US.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics