Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Ds keeps slipping out of car seat straps

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 3:35 pm
Ds is two years old and we recently bought a FF car seat for him. (He threw a fit every time we tried putting him in the RF one and it was getting too small anyhow.)

According to the specs, this seat is appropriate for his age and height. I threaded the shoulder straps through the bottom set of slits and they are at the correct height. However, no matter how snug I make the straps, somehow he manages to slide out of them at will.

Is there anything I can do or any gadget I can buy to prevent this?

While on the topic of his car seat, any ideas to prevent his head tipping all the way to the side when he falls asleep? The seat has a head support, but it's set way above his head and it doesn't slide down.

Yesterday he managed to slide out of the straps and fall asleep. He was doubled over and his head was on his knees by the time I noticed and managed to get off the highway.

Last edited by sarahd on Fri, Feb 04 2011, 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total

mamaluv

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 4:25 pm
Is the car seat a 5 point harness? Is there a clip by the chest? Most people don't know but the straps should be snug.

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:45 pm
Yes, it's a five point harness, but it didn't come with a clip. Maybe I should try to get one.

I am aware that the straps have to be snug but as I wrote, no matter how snug I make them he still slips out.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:56 pm
A lot of European carseats don't have a chest clip...I'm not sure if it's ok to just add one or not...it might change the way the straps hold the child in a collision. I'd ask on car-seat.org where they have an international section to ask their expertise.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:58 pm
http://www.houdinistop.com/
http://www.theproactiveparents......html

sarahd

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 4:07 pm
HY, thanks for directing me to that website. I found something that might solve my problem. I also discovered that this is a far from uncommon problem in Europe, where car seat straps can't accomodate chest clips. I also discovered that if I would be raising my child properly, he would understand on his own not to try to get out of the straps. It's all a matter of proper chinuch. LOL

sarahd

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 4:08 pm
sky, thank for the links. Those won't work on this car seat.

drumjj

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 4:40 pm
sarah I had the same problem with my daughter for ages, I used to have to stop the car all the time to put the straps back on. now she has finally learnt that she has to leave them on but it took a while

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 9:07 pm
Sorry about the chinuch issue Wink
I've gotten lots of practical information from that site, mixed in with some "what world are you living in? advice" (suggestions to install a carseat every morning before my son goes to school instead of using a booster at 5).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics