Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Milk Bottle In or Before bed?

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:15 am
My title basically says it all. My ds is 1 & I'm not sure if I should start weaning/training him off his milk bottle in bed.
He gets a full bottle of whole milk at bedtime. He drinks it & throws it out of his crib when he's done & rolls over & goes to sleep. (He isn't the type to let the nipple in his mouth the whole night etc...)

WDYD?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:17 am
I can't say in your particular case, but I never let my children drink a bottle in bed. I brush their teeth and change their diaper after their bottle and before they get into bed.

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:18 am
yo'ma wrote:
I can't say in your particular case, but I never let my children drink a bottle in bed. I brush their teeth and change their diaper after their bottle and before they get into bed.

Yea, I brush his teeth before. Queer? embarrassed
So WDYD, bottle before bed?
How should I wean him?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:37 am
I don't wean from a bottle until they're 2 usually, so I can't answer you for that age, sorry!

rovacat

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:38 am
wow- I'm so impressed that you brush your baby's teeth before bed! how does he let you do that?
I know you're sopposed to- he shouldn't be sleeping with milk on his teeth all night.
my dd had cavities behind her front middle teeth bec. I didn't wipe them down after she nursed, before she fell asleep.
it's just tough to wake up your sleeping, or almost sleeping baby to brush their teeth. I could never do it.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:43 am
rovacat wrote:
wow- I'm so impressed that you brush your baby's teeth before bed! how does he let you do that?
I know you're sopposed to- he shouldn't be sleeping with milk on his teeth all night.
my dd had cavities behind her front middle teeth bec. I didn't wipe them down after she nursed, before she fell asleep.
it's just tough to wake up your sleeping, or almost sleeping baby to brush their teeth. I could never do it.

I usually don't start until they have a few teeth, so I don't do it that young. I usually gave a bottle 45 minutes before it was time for bed.

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:51 am
I started after first few teeth came in. I do it at bath time. They have 'training toothpaste' and it tastes so good! My ds loves it lol. He kvetches when I actually do the brushing but he's so busy licking his lips right after he's a happy camper. At this point he's so used to it he knows what to expect Smile I still don't know if age 1 is normal time to wean his milk bottle!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:56 am
Terrible, terrible, terrible habit. He should get water just before bed if he needs a bottle.

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:20 am
my 1st DD always went to sleep with a bottle and had horrible rotten teeth.

my second always went to sleep with a bottle and her teeth are white and beautiful.

go figure.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:32 am
I give my kids a bottle before bed. This is simply because I don't want them to need the bottle to fall asleep.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:35 am
I give my one year old a sippy cup with milk about 45 minutes before bedtime and then water after that if she wants more to drink but she doesn't take anything into her crib with her. I was always careful not to give a bottle right before putting her to sleep becasue I didn't want the bottle to becoem part of her bedtime routine
I know this isn't the point of the thread but am I really supposed to be brushing her teeth every night. I never heard of brushing such a young kid's teeth?

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:02 am
I guess I'll try giving him his bottle before bed. He should be able to go to sleep without it in his crib. He just loves his milk bottle! I don't mind keeping it a 'sign' of sleep time but I did want to eliminate it from being in his crib.
They say its a good habit to build early on besides for just health reasons. Why are their teeth any different then ours?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics