Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is there Hatzolah where you live?

pumpkinsbubby

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:52 pm
I live in Michigan and there is no Hatzolah here. I wish there were. Although we are very lucky to have public safety people who come very quickly when they are called, there's nothing like having a Yid come to the rescue when a loved one is in need of emergency care. During an emergency it's easy for family members to get confused and stressed out. With Hatzolah I'd know we are in good and caring hands. What's your opinion?

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:01 pm
Its written that in a place where there's no other, you be the person. Meaning, if there's a way for you to start something like that, why don't you? You need to find out about volunteer organizations in your area. Have men trained to be EMTs. And have someone either donate or buy an ambulance and equipment. It can be done. Hatzlacha.

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:04 pm
When my father was involved way back when it was started by Reb Hershel Weber, all that they had were talking beepers/pagers and oxygen. My father ran on calls from all weird situations, being while driving a bus and parking it to run a block to get the ambulance to the call, to running by foot in the midle of the night. All that's needed is mesiras nefesh for a yid. I'm sure if you contact Rabbi Weber, still today, he may be able to help.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:20 pm
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
I live in Michigan and there is no Hatzolah here. I wish there were. Although we are very lucky to have public safety people who come very quickly when they are called, there's nothing like having a Yid come to the rescue when a loved one is in need of emergency care. During an emergency it's easy for family members to get confused and stressed out. With Hatzolah I'd know we are in good and caring hands. What's your opinion?

Hatzolah was born out of NYC's incompetent emergency services. There is no need for Hatzalah where there are good/normal emergency services.

I've never understood the need for Hatzolah out of NYC.....

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:48 pm
catonmylap wrote:
pumpkinsbubby wrote:

Hatzolah was born out of NYC's incompetent emergency services. There is no need for Hatzalah where there are good/normal emergency services.

Just what I was gonna say.

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 12:39 am
Why do you automatically assume that ems outside NYC does not have "incompetent emergency services".
I don't nec. know whether they are incompetent or not, but the response time where I live has a lot to be desired.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:33 pm
Coke Slurpee wrote:
Why do you automatically assume that ems outside NYC does not have "incompetent emergency services".
I don't nec. know whether they are incompetent or not, but the response time where I live has a lot to be desired.

Sorry. I wasnt clear. But op said that response time by her was good, so there is really no need for hatzolah there. Just to have a jew respond to an emergency is not enough of an excuse IMO to start an organization that takes a lot of tzedakah money to run.

obagys

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:39 pm
We have Hatzalah where I live (Baltimore). Where I am personally located, the response time is fast enough from the regular ambulances, but I'm not sure that holds true for the entire Jewish community. I have heard time and time again how Hatzalah and gotten to the scene before the other ambulances. I just hope they don't over-expand too quickly, as funds are tight and limited. It would be shame to incur too many costs that cause the organization to have to stop providing their valuable services.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:52 pm
catonmylap wrote:

Ok, I'm in another whole country, but the emergency service here is LOUSY!!! I don't know about ambulance or police, but when there's a fire, it takes them quite a long time to get there. I've seen a whole building that wouldn't have got so ruined if they got there earlier.

cm

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 6:31 pm
No need for Hatzolah here; we have excellent public services. They do wonders in NYC though - in a city of so many millions, the more helping hands the better!

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 6:37 pm
my husband is a responder for hatzalah in baltimore and he has told me countless times that before they were transporting patients that they have gotten there way before 911 did. I remember one instance when he said they were waiting almost a half hour for 911 to come. Also, having a friendly jewish face respond can make a situation for a sick child much calmer.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 11:48 pm
Our hatzolah is pretty new...my DH was part of the initial group that started it. They always arrive before 911 would get there but most of the time they have their own ambulance that arrives right after too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics