Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Canned Salmon Appetizers for Shabbos -- No Puff Pastry

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:12 pm
I was thinking of buying some canned salmon and using it as an appetizer instead of gefilte fish on Shabbos sometimes...but I can't seem to come up with any recipes that aren't puff pastry based. I don't buy puff pastry. Is there an alternative recipe for it? Or can I make something else. Not patties, as we have tuna burgers as regular weekday suppers. Something a bit more put together.
Or am I dreaming? Smile

SV

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:20 pm
I don't know if this is much fancier than the patties, but "deviled eggs" sort of thing is really good when you mix the yolks with salmon (or tuna) and mayo and stuff back into the whites. Sorry no exact recipe, but you get the idea. HTH

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:27 pm
I've only made it with mayo and dill and put a pretty scoop on top of a salad

Tova

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:29 pm
Flaked on top of a plated salad?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 9:49 pm
I don't think I can see my husband appreciating salad as a substitute for his beloved gefilte fish. Sad

I like deviled eggs, make them for SS every so often, but wouldn't there be too much filling with the salmon mixed in?

(Uh oh. I just remembered he ran out of chrein. Oops.)

SV

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't think I can see my husband appreciating salad as a substitute for his beloved gefilte fish. Sad

I like deviled eggs, make them for SS every so often, but wouldn't there be too much filling with the salmon mixed in?

(Uh oh. I just remembered he ran out of chrein. Oops.)

I usually make the deviled eggs with tuna (so there is less filling) but I just stuff a lot of it back into the white - make a little heap on top...

mandksima

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 1:23 am
I have a wonderful salmon/tuna quiche recipe that everyone raves about. I make a homemade crust that is easy and whole wheat/oil based as well. You can make them mini/individual sized or one big pie. Serve at room temp. I've posted it before but I can't find it.

Salmon or Tuna Quiche

One onion, sauteed in oil
15 oz salmon or 2 cans tuna, drained
3/4 C mayo
1 T mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
2 eggs
1/2 C pareve milk
chopped dill, optional

Saute onion first till soft and pour into pie crust. In the meantime,mix all the rest of ingredients together and pour in pie crust over onions. Bake at 375 until browned and set, about 45 minutes.

Easy pie crust

2 C flour (I use 70% whole wheat)
1/2 C oil
1/3 C pareve milk
1 tsp salt

Mix together till it forms a dough (by hand is fine) and press into pie plate evenly. This recipe usually makes more than one pie's worth and I stick the remaining in the freezer. It doesn't quite make 2 full recipes unless you press it really thinly.

cookielady

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 1:25 am
I make my own easy knish dough and make a filling for it with the canned salmon, sauteed vegetables, etc. It's always great.

shabri

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 3:50 am
I sometimes make up my own salmon loaf recipe (canned salmon, egg, matza meal, onion or onion powder, mayo, ketchup, mustard etc) and bake in muffin tins. Serve warm or cool on a plate with a little sauce (I usually make a mayo/dijon dressing) and if you want some veggies. Really easy and yum. Canned salmon is expensive here so I don't make it so often but I would

loveshoes

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 8:18 am
cookielady wrote:
I make my own easy knish dough and make a filling for it with the canned salmon, sauteed vegetables, etc. It's always great.

Can you share the recipe for the knish dough and the salmon filling?
Thanks

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 9:21 am
This might be a little unusual but I know someone who would make stuffed tomatoes. I don't have an exact recipe, but you remove the bones from canned salmon and chop it with a fork. Mix it with some rice, chopped onions, an egg, salt and pepper. Hollow out tomatoes - Either cut off tip of plum tomatoes, or cut big tomatoes in half. Stuff it with the mixture and put face down in baking pan. You can put the hollowed out tomato parts in the pan too .Bake till tomatoes are cooked - it may brown on top. Serve room temp or cold.

EDIT: use cooked rice
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics