Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sit up unassisted - what age?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 6:15 pm
at what age did your child sit up unassisted? mine is almost 6 months and still needs to be supported so im just wondering. Also did you do anything to help child sit up? Prop them with pillows or boppy? Use bumbo or similar type seat?

thanks

frumamn

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 6:40 pm
Every baby is different. 6 months seems like mid-range for sitting up. Some do, some don't. Making a baby sit up before she's mature enough might be uncomfortable for her, as her muscles aren't yet developed enough to support her weight, Reclining her against a boppy makes more sense. just my opinion

sweet

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 6:45 pm
Both my kids sat up and started crawling in the same week,
They were both about 7 months, my 10 month old started cruising when he was 8 months old and he can now stand alone for a bit.

btw, its not good to make a child sit, if they were on the floor enough they should be able to sit up at 6,7 months alone.

Good luck!

sped

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 6:51 pm
My baby is 9.5 months and doesn't sit yet. He also still creeps on his stomach - not up on his knees. I spoke to a friend who is a top baby OT and she said to wait 2-3 weeks to worry, and once he starts crawling, he should sit up then. She also poited out that based on family history he probably has low tone, but not yet to worry. So far 1/2 a week has gone by Smile

cm

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 7:10 pm
Mine sat up a little earlier than some of her peers, at barely five months. However, she didn't propel herself until 9 months, and wasn't really mobile until the end of that month. She walked at 15 months - hardly precocious.

Once the babies in my group (a lot of us had babies around the same time) started sitting up at different ages, a lot of us stopped looking in the baby development books every week to see what they "should" be doing. There is a very very wide range of "normal."

Have fun watching your baby learn and grow!

obagys

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 7:12 pm
My kids all sat up relatively early, by 4-5 months. However, my son didn't crawl until well after a year and didn't walk until 22 months! He had extremely poor muscle tone. Each baby is so, so different.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 7:12 pm
6-7 months for most of my children, but some later. That's starting to sit by themselves and it takes about 2 weeks without help, but me nearby.

MrsMortgage

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 8:21 pm
Ds sat at unsupported at 7.5 mos but he really enjoyed being propped by a Boppy until then
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics