Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Dreading another sleepless night

runninglate

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:50 pm
my ten month old has lately become impossible at night. She is literally waking up every two hrs! I need to nurse her to get her back to sleep, otherwise she will not stop screaming. I work, need to leave the house pretty early.... Im not functioning. I always needed a lot of sleep, even as a girl I dont have the heart to let her cry it out. Any other suggestions? The crazy part is that she slept thru the night from three to six months old. At six months her weight gain slowed and then she started waking up so I nursed her thinking she is waking from hunger. After that her weight gain has been slow but consistent. But she is waking up more and more often. Help!

sugarplum

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:55 pm
how often does she eat during the day, she should be on a four hour schedule, does she actually eat when you feed her and does she wake up the same time every night if so her body might just be in a rythm and you have to break it.

runninglate

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 10:21 pm
she is generally a poor eater. She eats about every three hrs but often nurses for just two or three minutes on only one side. She gets solids three times a day ----- which means I attempt to give it three times. She does wake up at approximately the same times. But I dont know how to break her of this habit without the risk of traumatizing her.

runninglate

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:21 pm
last night was awful again. Im ssso tired today that I kept making wrong turns on the way to work any suggestions??

obagys

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:30 pm
Are you positive there is no medical reason for her waking up so much (reflux, teething, ear infection, etc?)
Can your husband have night duty every so often so that you can sleep?
Can you try offering different foods during the day that she might like more than what you are currently feeding her so that she'll be fuller?

Finally, there is nothing wrong with letting her cry if she's waking up just because she's used to mommy coming to "rescue" her every time she does it. I also hate hearing my babies cry and feel guilty that maybe they need me or something is wrong, but the constant waking is not good for them or you. Some babies are really a challenge, and I wish you luck.

cityofgold

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:35 pm
If she's really not eating enough during the day, it's possible that one night of refusing to feed her from about 11 until 6ish (going to her and comforting, but not feeding--may work better if your husband does it) will make her hungry enough to eat enough during the day and break that cycle. She'll be hungry that first night, but she won't starve.

superjew

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:49 pm
Seems like you need to sleep train her again. I would suggest the option cityofgold suggested. Go in to comfort her after 5 minutes of crying. (dont feed or take her out) just sooth her, talk to her etc. Then walk out & let her cry for 10 min etc (increase by 5 minutes till she falls asleep)
It might be REALLY hard the first few nights but it will be worth it eventually. You want this hard enough, you'll put yourself through this for a few nights.
I know the hardest part for me was walking out. He'd scream stronger once I left but that only lasted a few times & after 3 nights I was done! I know not everyone has it that fast, but it will happen. Just be sure you're consistent. (think of it, you're consistent till now with nursing her when she cried, its what she got used to. So now you're training her that she doesn't need to nurse during the night...cuz she doesn't.)
Be sure that 1-She is being well fed through the day & before bed (she may even eat better through the day if she doesn't nurse at night) 2-She is enough active through the day (crawling, standing, bouncing etc) So she is tired enough to sleep well.

runninglate

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 4:41 pm
thanks everyone for ur help. Someone mentioned teething. It wasnt the original reason why she started waking up a few months ago, but she just cut two front teeth. They are not in fully yet and others may be on the way. But I dont think pain is waking her cuz nursing comforts her right away. She is very active and def tired by night time. Its so hard to go in and resist the urge to take her out and rock her. Then I end up nursing her cuz im desparate tol get back to bed. Shld I first try taking her out but not nursing or go straight to not taking her out? Is this the ferber method? Do I need a book on it or is the method just common sense?

out of town rebbitzen

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 11:51 am
If you're really worried about a medical cause waking her up, you can bring your baby to the doctor. The doctor will rule out a medical issue, and also can offer advice on encouraging your baby to sleep better. That way even if you end up choosing to let her cry it out, you won't feel guilty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics