Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
KNOCKING BEFORE ENTERING A HOUSE OR ROOM WITH DOOR CLOSED

happy12

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:40 am
Please let me know if anyone knows the makor for this. I need it for a friend whose son says this is not necessary.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:43 am
Halachically, maybe out of respect? not to frighten people?
But it's common sense...

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:50 am
I agree with Ruchel.
I don't think there is a mekor anywhere for it but it is one of the things of Kavod, having respect for someone else to let them know you are nearby.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:59 am
I heard that it comes from the kohein gadol wearing bells on his clothing when he entered the Beis Hamikdash.

The Ramban concludes that the reason for this is distinct from that for the rest of the garments, and is given in the text itself: so that "its sound will be heard as he approaches the holy place" (28:35). This, explains the Ramban further, is because it is proper etiquette in general to announces oneself before entering a room, by knocking on the door or by making some other form of noise. Hence the bells would ring as the Kohen entered the Holy Place.

In fact, as the Talmud (Pesachim 112) says, one of the seven important instructions R' Akiva gave to his son R' Yehoshua was never to enter even his own home without warning, and, even more so, the home of a neighbor. The Rashbam explains that R' Akiva learned this from the bells the Kohen wore.
[url=web page]web page[/url]

The bottom hem of the meil was belled. The purpose of these bells was "that the sound should be heard when he enters the Sanctuary" (Shmos 28:35). Rashbam explains that the bells served as an alarm to warn all present in the sanctuary to depart when the kohen gadol entered to perform his service. Ramban adds that there is a hint in this passage that the bells summoned even the heavenly angels to leave the Sanctuary, allowing the kohen gadol to be alone with his King.
web page

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 1:50 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
I heard that it comes from the kohein gadol wearing bells on his clothing when he entered the Beis Hamikdash.

The bottom hem of the meil was belled. The purpose of these bells was "that the sound should be heard when he enters the Sanctuary" (Shmos 28:35). Rashbam explains that the bells served as an alarm to warn all present in the sanctuary to depart when the kohen gadol entered to perform his service. Ramban adds that there is a hint in this passage that the bells summoned even the heavenly angels to leave the Sanctuary, allowing the kohen gadol to be alone with his King.
web page

YES -= THIS!!!

Dini20

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 9:52 pm
Yes, Isramom8 is right!that's where it comes from.

Raizle

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:06 pm
I heard the kohen gadol thing too but why would any decent human being even need a makor for this?

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:29 pm
Raizle wrote:
I heard the kohen gadol thing too but why would any decent human being even need a makor for this?

I think OP is talking about knocking even at your own door - Do most people do that? I don't.

Bliss

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 2:00 am
I knock on my door before entering eventhough noone is there. I'm not sure where I picked it up. After we got married my husband thought it's very funny but one time I was at a shiur where the speaker mentioned that the shechina is in the home I told my husband, I am knocking for the koved of the shechina.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics