Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Tzedakah: Give more to one person or little to many people?

lollygirl

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 6:38 pm
DH and I were discussing the mitzvah of tzedakah. He says that it's a bigger mitzvah to give let's say 20 people $1 each. I always learned that it's a bigger mitzvah to give just to let's say two people, $10 each. I know there is a mekor for this and I would love to learn which is more "correct". If someone could please point me to the source, I would appreciate it! Thanks Smile

thatgirl

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 7:01 pm
More to one person.

lollygirl

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 7:50 pm
I would like a source to show DH. I told him that, without a source he doesn't have reason to believe me...although he should because I'm always right LOL

happy mom1

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 8:56 pm
I'm sorry, no mekor right now,maybe when dh comes home I'll discuss it with him. I always learnt that giving a little to many ppl. is better, because it makes one into a more giving person; each time you give you are improving and getting more schar.

LeahW

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 3:46 am
happy mom1 wrote:
I'm sorry, no mekor right now,maybe when dh comes home I'll discuss it with him. I always learnt that giving a little to many ppl. is better, because it makes one into a more giving person; each time you give you are improving and getting more schar.

To qualify this concept, this does not mean you give a dollar (for example) to each person if that is not considered a substantial amount. My understanding is that if you can give a hundred dollar bill each to 10 people, that is probably better than giving 200 dollars to 5 people. You should ask your Rav.

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 4:04 am
I've also heard that giving, say, $20 five times is better than giving $100 once. But I heard that as being an issue of frequency of giving, not of the number of people.

IOW, that giving $20 to one person five times is better than giving $100 to the same person one time, and that giving $20 to one person five times is as good as giving $20 to five people one time each.

Ultimately, though, it should be about the other person's needs. If someone needs $100 now, today, it's best to give it all at once and all to that person. And then put a nickel a day into a tzedaka box to work on daily giving.

If I have time, I'll look for a source.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 5:43 am
happy mom1 wrote:

I think the Rambam says that.

SV

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 11:33 am
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
happy mom1 wrote:

I think the Rambam says that.

That's what I learned as well.

mom4life

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 11:49 am
Your probably both right because different rabbis say different things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions