Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Can you tell me how to make this crockpot dish for shabbos?

greeneyes

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:30 pm
I'd like to make some kind of dish with chicken drumsticks, potatoes, & barley in the crockpot for shabbos lunch. I've never done this, & I'm the type that likes exact instructions when I cook something I'm not used to. My main questions are: How much water should I put in? How long before shabbos does this need to be put up? Can I do it in the late afternoon, like 4:00 or 5:00? What setting should I use on my crockpot? (the settings are high, low, & keep warm) Any tips are appreciated!! Very Happy

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:42 pm
ok, barley absorbs a lot of water. keep that in mind.

do you want a cholent-type thing? you can really just put the stuff in and do what you would normally do for cholent.

if you want something drier, put the barley and potatoes on bottom. I'd probably use 2 parts water for 1 part barley. stir in some spices. layer chicken on top and spice.

you can keep it on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. switch to keep warm right before licht bentch. if you don't like using the warm setting, add some extra water and keep it on low.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:56 pm
Mummiedearest, thanks for your help.

I don't want it to be like cholent exactly.

So based on your instructions, how does this sound: 1/3 cup barley, 2/3 cup water, some sliced potatoes, spices (salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder), some chicken drumsticks, a chopped onion. Put in crock pot on high at 4:00 pm, switch to keep warm right before shabbos, around 7:00? Will the chicken be cooked enough? Will 2/3 cup water be enough liquid? I've never really played with the warm setting before but I'm open to trying it out if you think it'll work.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:57 pm
P.S. Mummiedearest, I consider you the crockpot queen. I know you know your stuff! LOL

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:42 pm
I would put in at least 2 cups of water. (Maybe more, I'd have to eyeball it.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus