Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Dishes made with matza meal

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 3:14 pm
Ok, so we just bought a package of matza meal which cost us a bloody fortune (I know, we should have just bought another pound of matza for that price and processed it.)

Now I need some ideas for how to use it for the last day of Pesach, besides for fluffy matza balls of course. Preferabaly stove top ideas.

Help me make this purchase worthwhile Smile

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 3:36 pm
Ok, so I found this, but would love other options.

Matza Meal Farfel

2-1/2 cups matza meal
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste (optional)
1/2 cup oil

Combine matza meal, eggs, salt and pepper; using 2 knives to crumble the dough until it resembles farfel.
Brown the matza farfel in hot oil heated over medium heat, until toasted.
Add water to just about cover the matza farfel. Cook for about 30 minutes, until soft.

chanahlady

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 3:47 pm
I recommend this recipe to everyone all the time -- it is that good. No oven needed.

Matzo meal polenta with sauteed mushrooms:

Polenta

* Olive oil for coating pan
* 2 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
* 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
* 1/4 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme
* 3/4 cup matzah meal, plus extra for coating the cakes
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Instructions

* lightly oil an 8-inch cake pan or straight sided tart pan
* In a 2 quart saucepan, bring to a boil the chicken stock, bouillon cube and herbs. Reduce the heat and simmer until the bouillon cube is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
* Slowly pour the matzah meal into the liquid with one hand while whisking constantly with the other (be sure to use a firm whisk). Continue whisking until smooth and creamy. The mixture will become quite thick. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
* In a bowl, beat the egg and egg yolk together; whisk the eggs into the matzah polenta. Raise the heat slightly and return the mixture to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
* Pour the cooked matzah polenta into the cake pan. With a spatula, spread the mixture evenly and smoothly. Cover, place in the refrigerator and chill thoroughly, at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
* Cut the polenta into pie-shaped wedges. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over a moderate flame. Dredge the matzah wedges in the extra matzah meal and sauté on both sides until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.

Mushroom sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb assorted mushrooms, cleaned and very thinly sliced (I usually use regular old white mushrooms)
1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley

Heat the oil in a 2-quart saute pan over high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add the mushrooms and saute to brown them and soften them, about 3-5 mins.
Add the garlic, white wine and lemon juice, and toss together to blend the flavors. Season with salt and pepper and cook 1-2 mins.
Serve the mushrooms and their juice spooned over the polenta and sprinkled with parsley.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 3:50 pm
Yum, yum, yum! That looks perfect chanahlady - thank you!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 4:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Ok, so we just bought a package of matza meal which cost us a bloody fortune (I know, we should have just bought another pound of matza for that price and processed it.)

How would you have processed it yourself? How would you have cleaned your food proc. afterwards and it not be gebrokts ?

chanahlady

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 4:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yum, yum, yum! That looks perfect chanahlady - thank you!

Great -- let me know how you like it!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 6:56 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

How would you have processed it yourself? How would you have cleaned your food proc. afterwards and it not be gebrokts ?
I do it last, before the second days of YT starts. After that, I wash it and put it away for the next year. (Same way I make matza balls on the last night of YT. I wash out the pot afterwards, and do not use it again until the next year. By then the kaylee is not gebrokts anymore, according to our mesorah.)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 6:57 pm
I have asked about that. It's not sitting a whole year.

yo'ma

Post Sat, Apr 23 2011, 6:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Matza Meal Farfel

2-1/2 cups matza meal
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil

Combine matza meal, eggs, salt and pepper; using 2 knives to crumble the dough until it resembles farfel.
Add water to just about cover the matza farfel. Cook for about 30 minutes, until soft.

I make this, but I sautee onions w/ however much oil and w/o any eggs. It could also be made sweet w/ sugar instead of salt and pepper.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 23 2011, 11:27 pm
yo'ma wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Matza Meal Farfel

2-1/2 cups matza meal
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil

I make this, but I sautee onions w/ however much oil and w/o any eggs. It could also be made sweet w/ sugar instead of salt and pepper.
Thanks for letting me know!
How good is it?

nicole81

Post Sat, Apr 23 2011, 11:40 pm
I make this with the accompanying link for pesto sauce:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com......html

it uses cake meal, but would probably be fine with MM as well.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 23 2011, 11:48 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I make this with the accompanying link for pesto sauce:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com......html

it uses cake meal, but would probably be fine with MM as well.
That looks delicious too. I actually already make some pesto.
Hmmm, so many dishes to choose from LOL

bnm

Post Sat, Apr 23 2011, 11:49 pm
matza latkes- involves matza meal, eggs, and some basic ingredients...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 12:13 am
bnm wrote:
matza latkes- involves matza meal, eggs, and some basic ingredients...
Like this?
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....slach

bnm

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 12:26 am
yes. we leave out the apples and nuts though...

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 1:53 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I have asked about that. It's not sitting a whole year.

On leap years it even sits extra, I never heard of anyone who doesn't hold that the keilim are not good by next pesach.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 6:03 am
matza meal pancakes--the trick is to add 1 extra egg and a bit more extra liquid (water, milk) as the batter tends to get rather heavy/sticky.

You can also use seasoned matza meal (salt, paprika, cumin, turmeric) as a coating for chicken nuggets, fish fingers/sticks. Cut chicken breast/fish fillets in bite size pieces, dredge in beaten eggs, coat with seasoned matza meal and pan-fry.

Similarly you can make delicious fried courgette/zucchini slices or fried aubergine/eggplant slices. I like adding turmeric which makes the colour delicious brown rather than pale.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 11:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
How good is it?

I like it just fine, but I'm not picky. It pretty much taste like farfel.

I just realized it says matza meal. I'm so sorry, I was confused. I used matza farfel, not meal.

I use matza meal for cakes, cookies, and coating for chicken. I actually made chicken cutlets coated in matza meal. I seasoned the matza meal with the only seasoning I had, onion powder, salt, and pepper. It was very good, even cold.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics