Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Did secular music run out of topics?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:19 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Thy bother putting words to it if it's going to be "Novacaine, novacaine"?

Oh, I don't know...it sounds like something a satirical spoofer would come up with to sing at a costume party at which she dresses up as a dentist. That could be pretty funny if they fleshed it out some.

Novocaine, novocaine...
One good shot and there's no more pain...
without it I'd have gone quite insane...
Novocaine, novocaine...
Blessed relief like a gentle rain...
No more hammering in my brain...
Novocaine, novocaine...

zaq

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:26 pm
blue eyes wrote:
If they ever really run out of topics they'll just go back to old time classic - love. and when they come up wiht somehting new hit back on that and wait it gets better- back to love!!! basically running in cicles. I dont think there is ever an end

You could choose a worse theme than love. I just don't like the kvetchy, self-pitying ones about why does the sun go on shining cause you don't love me anymore. If you get dumped, be strong! be proud and defiant! Sing " Wave your little hand and whisper so long dearie, you ain't gonna see me anymore!" or "Never have I once looked back to sigh over the romance behind me" or "I am Woman hear me roar!"

CatLady

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:38 pm
Medley of "Novocaine" with "I Wanna Be Sedated" = Best! Potential! Mashup! Evah!

My son is a hip-hop musician, and writes what I refer to as protest songs, or at least that's what they were called when the dinosaurs roamed the plains, a.k.a. my teen years. There's plenty of social commentary, optimism, inspiration, and just plain old goofy fun in pop music nowadays. There are also lazy lyricists who resort to the shock value of swear words as a cop-out. For example, Pink released two versions of "Perfect", and the title of one version is not going to get by the filter if you KWIM. The clean version is much more moving because the story being told becomes the focus, and not the F-bomb. (Can we call it an "attention-seeking missile"?)

zaq

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:46 pm
CatLady wrote:
(Can we call it an "attention-seeking missile"?)

Excellent!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:48 am
Zaq, your Novacvaine song is slightly funny. The one on the radio sisn't seem to have any discernable words other than the ones I wrote. They seemed to be the whole song.

My problem with their love songs is that they are quite explicit and my 2 year old spends 4 hours a day listening to that stuff. I'm switching his school (in May) because of that.

At least there aren't many curse words. I guess I should be thankful for that.

zaq

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 6:46 pm
Zaq, your Novacvaine song is slightly funny.

only slightly? how lowering! LOL

The one on the radio sisn't seem to have any discernable words other than the ones I wrote. They seemed to be the whole song.

and people get paid for this? I'm in the wrong field! maybe the writer had just had his wisdom teeth out and that was all he could manage to string together in his condition.

My problem with their love songs is that they are quite explicit

not love songs then--s@x songs. call a spade a spade

and my 2 year old spends 4 hours a day listening to that stuff. I'm switching his school (in May) because of that.
good for you! you mean you were taking him by bus 2 hours each way every day? was this the bus driver's radio or other riders? I feel for you. Been in a similar situation with my kids, but not on a daily basis, just on occasion when we were going somewhere, and not for 4 hours! gaaaaah! fortunately at 2 your ds doesn't understand and won't remember.

At least there aren't many curse words. I guess I should be thankful for that.
what a comment on our society if you have to be grateful for something like that. fortunately at 2 your ds doesn't understand and won't remember.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 7:11 pm
I didn't realize that there was a difference between love songs and s-x songs, but if that's the case then yes, they are s-x songs. We have been taking this long bus ride because my son is non-verbal and the best speech based program for him is about 45 minutes or an hour from my house. Since the bus picks up other kids it takes much longer. However, he is extremely musical and his being non-verbal doesn't comfort me that he won't remember the songs. The "I love my team" one is on practically every ride, and it's coming out of my ears already. So are others that I won't mention. Ds is almost 3 and his comprehension is pretty good. I think it will stay in his memory, even if only subconsciously.

And yes, it is very sad that I have to be thankful for the lack of curse words. Unfortunately, the driver and the matron curse sometimes, but at least it's not being put to music. Hopefully ds won't remember the curses.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics