Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My 7 week old won't sleep on his back anymore!
Previous  1  2  3

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
We put our first kid the first night on her back and that was the end of it. We were literally up a whole night with her. Thereafter all my kids went on their tummies.

I heard from a Hatzolah member that most SIDS cases are with the mother sleeping in the same bed as the baby. Anyone heard of that?

This is not a true statistic.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 8:23 pm
maze wrote:
and yes, cosleeping increases the chances the baby will suffocate c''v.
Babies shouldn't be sleeping with toys, pillows, or loose blankets in their cribs.

Proper co-sleeping does not. there was an excellent news story I saw over a a year a go, by one of the big SIDS experts, he stated that formula fed babies, who co-slept were at a high risk for SIDS, but the rates were nearly non existent with nursing co-sleeping infants.

Nursing mothers do not sleep as deeply as non nursing mothers. Also fathers should not co sleep, the rates are way higher when fathers sleep with babies. Also co-sleeping on anything that is not a bed increases death rates too.

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 9:09 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
amother wrote:
We put our first kid the first night on her back and that was the end of it. We were literally up a whole night with her. Thereafter all my kids went on their tummies.

I heard from a Hatzolah member that most SIDS cases are with the mother sleeping in the same bed as the baby. Anyone heard of that?

Why, cause you didn't hear it from the "experts"??!! Rolling Eyes
Here's a hatzalah member saying something he hears and sees behind the scenes, and you won't believe it, cause this, so called, EXPERT didn't say it, hhmmm!

And to the amother talking about co-sleeping, wow! AND YOU GIVE YOUR BABY FORMULA?! The risk is higher. What's gonna be, you might fall asleep by mistake holding the baby? Rolling Eyes
How DARE you give formula! You gotta take EVERY precaution!

maze

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:09 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
maze wrote:
and yes, cosleeping increases the chances the baby will suffocate c''v.
Babies shouldn't be sleeping with toys, pillows, or loose blankets in their cribs.

Proper co-sleeping does not. there was an excellent news story I saw over a a year a go, by one of the big SIDS experts, he stated that formula fed babies, who co-slept were at a high risk for SIDS, but the rates were nearly non existent with nursing co-sleeping infants.

Nursing mothers do not sleep as deeply as non nursing mothers. Also fathers should not co sleep, the rates are way higher when fathers sleep with babies. Also co-sleeping on anything that is not a bed increases death rates too.

breastfed babies in general have a lower chance of developing SIDS- without regard to cosleeping.
cosleeping can cause a child to suffocate from mom accidentally rolling over or baby getting trapped and suffocating on mom's mattress, bed frame etc

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
amother wrote:

Why, cause you didn't hear it from the "experts"??!! Rolling Eyes
Here's a hatzalah member saying something he hears and sees behind the scenes, and you won't believe it, cause this, so called, EXPERT didn't say it, hhmmm!

And to the amother talking about co-sleeping, wow! AND YOU GIVE YOUR BABY FORMULA?! The risk is higher. What's gonna be, you might fall asleep by mistake holding the baby? Rolling Eyes
How DARE you give formula! You gotta take EVERY precaution!

A hatzala member only comes in contact with a small segment of society. in that segment he has seen too few SIDS cases to come to that conclusion. Real statistics do not back up this conclusion. The real statistics do say that in cases where children were smothered in co sleeping situations, Almost all parents were bottle feeding, or improperly co sleeping in a place that was not a bed or intoxicated or drugged.

hatzala members are wonderful people, but I do not consider their input on "Most SIDS deaths". I do believe that most instances of SIDS that he was called in to assist on happened this way.

As for your smug comment on formula, I don't use it, and I also do not co sleep. I cannot help that you do not like actual statistics.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics