Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Lifelong Education (Touro)vs Sara Schneirer

doubter

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 5:50 am
as I'm about to register for classes in Lifelong, I'm hearing mixed messages the main one being: its better to do SS because its a 2 year program, and by the time I"d get a BA with Lifelong and then a MA it would be for sure 5-6 years..
Is SS doable for a full time working married lady who is a bit out of practice from schooling? (6- 7 years out)

B"H

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 6:25 am
I went to ss and I loved it. but I started off single. married and working part time was also fine, but once I had a baby... a lot more difficult. but I know ppl who have done it. and I don't know how lifelong compares, it may be just as hard to do while married and working.
also, it depends what degree you're going for. ss has very specific degree programs and nothing else. so if you want something different you won't be able to go there. and I heard (though maybe this is just a rumor?) that touro doesn't accept transfers from ss, so if you started out there and then wanted to transfer, you'd be stuck. but don't take my word for it- like I said, maybe it's just a rumor, but, look into it.
good luck!

doubter

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 6:26 am
thanks good to know! I'm working full time and married but no baby yet so I might make it don't know.. I am interested in being a SEIT and I think SS has a degree for special ed

B"H

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 10:35 am
doubter wrote:
thanks good to know! I'm working full time and married but no baby yet so I might make it don't know.. I am interested in being a SEIT and I think SS has a degree for special ed
yes they do. and it's definitely way faster (and therefore I'm pretty sure cheaper) than touro- and you get a lot of guidance- they tell you exactly which classes to sign up for in which semester, which clep tests to take when, etc. and the atmosphere is great. I guess find out of touro is a lot easier, cuz then iy"H with a kid it would be better... but it's probably not so easy anyway, so ss would probably be your best bet by far- you'll be done in two years!!

Fabulous

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 10:39 am
first of all, afaik it's 3 years for the regular program (BA and Masters). Second of all, I don't think it's possible for a full time working, married woman to do the regular program. I know it's a requirement for the students to be working as assistants or teachers, so unless you are doing that, you would also have to get another job.

Additionally, I had friends who were very smart who went there. It's VERY HARD and a lot of work. Can you handle that, in addition to what you have going on now. there's a reason why it's so fast, it's a lot of work pushed into a small amount of time. How does your dh feel about this? Would he and can he be supportive and take over some of your roles at home? These are all things to take into consideration. I know that SS has a woman's program that is more geared to married women but I don't know how long it takes. It might be worth a phone call. Hatzlacha!

Edited when I saw that you do not have children yet. IyH, do you plan to in the next 2-3 years? That is another consideration. It might be easier to take off some time or even a semester from Touro.

doubter

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 2:30 pm
hi, thanks for all the info and replies! the children is up to H. I'm definitively not stopping them from coming YIH, my husband is very supportive of this but what scares me is how hard it is , I have a family member who is smarter than I and attending (single) and she's always complaining about the workload.. I'm a para in a school but from what my sister says the first year I don't need to be an assistant/teacher, only the second
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries