Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Creepy nursery rhymes
Previous  1  2

chavs

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:54 am
Thank you. I didnt make the twinkle up, merely heard it from others, but love it as well.

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:07 am
I've been thinking this lately about three blind mice. Using a carving knife, not to kill them quickly but just torture them? In a childrens rhyme? Weird.

Yulka

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:54 pm
What about
"It's raining, it's pouring
The old man is snoring
He went to bed and he bumped his head
And couldn't get up in the morning"

zaq

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:22 pm
morkush wrote:
suomynona wrote:
I heard that Ring around the Rosie has to do with the black plague.

Yes it does. "ring a ring a rosie" they started off with a rash that turned into abscess, " a tissue a tissue" sneezing also signaled the start of the plague. I'm sure you can figure out "we all fall down"...

It's ashes, ashes, not a tissue a tissue. They didn't have facial tissues in the Middle Ages. Infected bodies were collected and burned to ashes. Pocket full of posies referred to the bunches of flowers or herbs people would carry around, both to cover the smell of death and in the belief that the herbs helped purify the air of infection.

chavs

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 2:29 pm
zaq wrote:
morkush wrote:
suomynona wrote:
I heard that Ring around the Rosie has to do with the black plague.

Yes it does. "ring a ring a rosie" they started off with a rash that turned into abscess, " a tissue a tissue" sneezing also signaled the start of the plague. I'm sure you can figure out "we all fall down"...

It's ashes, ashes, not a tissue a tissue. They didn't have facial tissues in the Middle Ages. Infected bodies were collected and burned to ashes. Pocket full of posies referred to the bunches of flowers or herbs people would carry around, both to cover the smell of death and in the belief that the herbs helped purify the air of infection.

The ppl who think it has to do with the plaques say that a rosies refers to a red mark, supposedly the first sign of the plague
"A pocket full of posies" refers to sachets of herbs carried to ward off infection or according to others to sweeten the air.
'atischoo' refers to sneezing which was one of the signs of the plaque.

As I said earlier it doesnt actually have anything to do with the plaque this is merely how ppl later interpreted it. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o
http://www.phrases.org.uk/mean......html
http://www.snopes.com/language.....e.asp

h

An exert from one of the websites in case you didnt read it(I would have copied it and pasted it from snopes but asnt able tto so this is from wiki):

Many have associated the poem with the Great Plague which happened in England in 1665, or with earlier outbreaks of the Black Death in England. Interpreters of the rhyme before World War II make no mention of this;[12] by 1951, however, it seems to have become well established as an explanation for the form of the rhyme that had become standard in the United Kingdom. Peter and Iona Opie remark: "The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. Sneezing or coughing was a final fatal symptom, and 'all fall down' was exactly what happened."[13][14] The line Ashes, Ashes in alternative versions of the rhyme is claimed to refer variously to cremation of the bodies, the burning of victims' houses, or blackening of their skin, and the theory has been adapted to be applied to other versions of the rhyme.[15] In its various forms, the interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague.[16] (For 'hidden meaning' in other nursery rhymes see Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, Humpty Dumpty, Jack Be Nimble, Little Jack Horner, Cock Robin, and meanings of nursery rhymes.)
Many folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:
The late appearance of the explanation;[12]
The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague;[14][17]
The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme (see above);[15][18]
European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.[19]
[edit]

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 2:37 pm
Gotta run, but did anyone read Cinderalla Ate My Daughter? She had something to say about gruesome fairy tales that's ringing a vague bell. (Kinda sad as I just read it two months ago, but that's for the over 35 forum.)

happy mom1

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 3:47 pm
chavs wrote:
I made one up based on ring a ring of roses which children all seem to love:
Cling a cling of tdekodoh
I like to do a mitzvah
a penny, a penny (or pence or whatever currency)
we drop it in

Other jewish songs such as I made a little dreidel has the same effect as nursery rhymes in terms of rhyming.

Another version (I sing it in yiddish):
Ring around the torah
A pocket full of mitzvos
If we do an aveira, we fall down!...
But when we do a mitzvah, we get back up!

deself

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 7:25 pm
What Yiddish nursery songs were there before we "adopted" the non jewish ones? Does anyone know? Did anyone's mother sing them something authentically Jewish, handed down through a few generations?

May

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 7:33 pm
chavs wrote:
One little yingel /maidel went to cheder/shul/daven
one little yingel /maidel stayed at home yingel /maidel ate challah
and one little yingel /maidel said shema
and one little yingel /maidel got a cuddle all the way home

I like this one, but it's missing a line. There are supposed to be 5 - one for each finger/toe.

miky72

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 7:58 pm
Chavs thank you for posting the twinkle rhyme.
I wrote it down and I'm planning to sing it to my children starting tomorrow!

bigsis144

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:55 pm
deself wrote:
What Yiddish nursery songs were there before we "adopted" the non jewish ones? Does anyone know? Did anyone's mother sing them something authentically Jewish, handed down through a few generations?

Two Yiddish songs my bubby passed to my mother, but not particularly religious (my grandparents weren't frum, but identified VERY MUCH with Yiddish culture):
Oyfn Pripetchuk ("Upon the Hearth") -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUF-jHyEuNg
Rozhinkes mit mandlen ("Raisins and Almonds") -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b3hxYFB068

cuties' mom

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:09 pm
May wrote:
chavs wrote:
One little yingel /maidel went to cheder/shul/daven
one little yingel /maidel stayed at home yingel /maidel ate challah
and one little yingel /maidel said shema
and one little yingel /maidel got a cuddle all the way home

I like this one, but it's missing a line. There are supposed to be 5 - one for each finger/toe.

I do This little (fill in child's name)'s learning chumish
This little ___ is learning gemara
This little __ is learning halacha
This little __ is leraning mussar
And this little ____ runs all the way to yeshiva.

Obviously, my kids are boys. I don't know what I would say if I had a girl but I don't have to worry about that.
As far as what I remember my mother singing, basically patchie patchie hentilach.

In kindergarten, my teacher taught us pat-a-cake for purim
pat a cake baker's man. Bake me a hamantash as fast as you can.
Roll it and prick it and make corners 3.
Put it in the oven for the whole family.
I do it with my kids for every yom tov picking the thing that we bake for it (matzah, cheesecake, etc)

cheerio

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:26 pm
happy mom1 wrote:
chavs wrote:
I made one up based on ring a ring of roses which children all seem to love:
Cling a cling of tdekodoh
I like to do a mitzvah
a penny, a penny (or pence or whatever currency)
we drop it in

Other jewish songs such as I made a little dreidel has the same effect as nursery rhymes in terms of rhyming.

Another version (I sing it in yiddish):
Ring around the torah
A pocket full of mitzvos
If we do an aveira, we fall down!...
But when we do a mitzvah, we get back up!

can you please write the yiddish? (you can transliterate it) we try very hard to speak to our kids in yiddish, but I idont know enough songs soo we sing it in english, but if I knew the words I would. thanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics