Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do you keep your kids up for night seudos
Previous  1  2

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 4:38 am
I feed my 5 yr old and almost 3 yr old before Shabbos and they get ready for bed while DH is at shul. They usually stay up for kiddush and hamotzi and then go to bed. If they're behaving and not acting tired and want to stay up longer, they can. There were a few times that they were so tired, they went to bed before DH came home.

cm

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 5:43 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Some disagree and say for chinuch I should keep my kids up, but I'm telling you that they wouldn't learn anything and just be grumpy and whiny and miserable that night, let alone the next day when they haven't gotten enough sleep, and imho, that doesn't really teach them much of anything.

Agreed! Well-rested kids (and grownups too) can actively participate in and appreciate Shabbat and Yom Tov so much more than if they are tired, cranky and overwhelmed. It isn't educational to keep them up.

buzz

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 6:40 am
shabri wrote:
No way. My kids go to sleep 6:30/7 and there is no way I would keep them up fo the seudah. The only exception is the seder.

When we make early shabbos, its also generally too late for them although lately my 4 y old has been up for kiddush & challah

DITTO! My kids aged 3.5 & 2 & 9 months all go to bed at 6/6.30 no matter when! Seder is the one exception and now with shavous I am thinking of putting them for a late nap so thy can stay up till 8.30pm. The baby will still go to sleep regular time though.

I love my quiet Friday nights with dh, not giving it up till I have to!!!! Confused

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 12:57 pm
My kids are older now, but when they were little, I would give them their Chicken and Kugel with a BIG cup of grape juice (special treat so they shouldn't feel bad about missing Kiddush) and dessert before Shabbos. Then, they went to sleep right after I lit candles. DH and I were able to have a quiet Seudah.

They got their Chinuch during the winter shabbosim and we got to relax during the summer ones.

Then, when we had older kids and toddlers, I felt it was even more important to put the little ones to sleep so we could focus our entire attention on the older ones instead of dealing with kvetchy tired toddlers.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 1:09 pm
I don't keep my kids up, nor to I insist that they may not stay up. But by 8 PM, maybe 8:30 at the latest, my kids have had it and are begging to go to bed if I haven't already sent them. The oldest is not yet 5 and we don't bring in Shabbos early here so...

I do enjoy having my children at the shabbos table, but in will only happen in the winter months when Shabbos is early again.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers