Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I'm the worst mother in the world
Previous  1  2

Chocoholic

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:00 am
While supernanny's method is hard to watch, consistency is the key... The kid might get out 50 times the first night and 20 times the second, 10 times the third, but once the kid senses consistency and understand that mommy's being for real... it will work.

abby1776

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:11 am
I too battle with my kids at bedtime and they are 6 and 4. We have a routine (bath, vitamins, toothbrushing, 2 stories, shema, and bed) but they have to go to the bathroom, then my 6 year will come out of bed and into my room and I have to walk him back, and it can be very difficult. I wish I knew how to make it better. My kids dont nap and they go to sleep at 7.

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:10 pm
Now here is a novel approach. Wait for the child to tell you they want to go to bed. Works great for large families where everyone is up and so much is happening. This way there will be no tears no stress. Just an exhausted child flopping into blessed sleep. Let's face it. Parents want their children to go to sleep because they have had enough of them and have other things to do. Let your child set the pace but be prepared to work around them a bit or just spend time with them. Don't think I have nothing to do at night! I work full time and have a large family with no cleaning help. This way everyone is happy. I don't have to scream at the other children to be quiet because their brother is trying to go to sleep and there is no frustration with a child who keeps climbing out of crib\bed to come out and see what is going on.

chananecha

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:19 pm
I too have a 3 yr old. and im dealing with this right now:

heres whats working:

1. let her take a nap during the day but no more than 1/2 hr. this way she will still get tired at a normal hr in the evening (hopefully)
2. bath, story shema, lights out
3. I stay with her (I do not believe in making kids cry!!)
4. after about 10 mins I find an excuse to leave for a min, I say I ll brb
5.im back another 5 mins, find another excuse leave for a little longer
6. im back sit for another few mins, and by then shes getting sleepy and by the 3rd round of my being right back shes usually sleeping

heres the benefit shes learning to sleep on her own but shes not afraid I will leave her since I keep coming back!

chananecha

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:20 pm

heres whats working:

1. let her take a nap during the day but no more than 1/2 hr. this way she will still get tired at a normal hr in the evening (hopefully)
4. after about 10 mins I find an excuse to leave for a min, I say I ll brb
5.im back another 5 mins, find another excuse leave for a little longer
6. im back sit for another few mins, and by then shes getting sleepy and by the 3rd round of my being right back shes usually sleeping

heres the benefit shes learning to sleep on her own but shes not afraid I will leave her since I keep coming back!

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:56 pm
chananecha wrote:

heres whats working:

4. after about 10 mins I find an excuse to leave for a min, I say I ll brb5.im back another 5 mins, find another excuse leave for a little longer

Don't lie to kids! It doesnt work. It messes them up!

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:57 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
This is babyish, (but if it works, great, is my opinion): Walk with her in a stroller till she nods off, then transfer her to her bed. Or a car ride.

Please dont

canada

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Now here is a novel approach. Wait for the child to tell you they want to go to bed. Works great for large families where everyone is up and so much is happening. This way there will be no tears no stress. Just an exhausted child flopping into blessed sleep. Let's face it. Parents want their children to go to sleep because they have had enough of them and have other things to do. Let your child set the pace but be prepared to work around them a bit or just spend time with them. Don't think I have nothing to do at night! I work full time and have a large family with no cleaning help. This way everyone is happy. I don't have to scream at the other children to be quiet because their brother is trying to go to sleep and there is no frustration with a child who keeps climbing out of crib\bed to come out and see what is going on.

My daughter would never ever ask to go to bed. And then what about the crankiness the next day (besides for every night)?
Make bedtime pleasant and routine.

chananecha

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:11 pm
Don't lie to kids! It doesnt work. It messes them up![/quote]

im not lying, because I keep coming right back and she knows that

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 1:30 am
melochew for 3 nights. she'll get used to falling asleep within half an hour and then itll get easier.

Dina Friedman's bedtime routine is excellent. Worked very well with my own equally difficult kid.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 10:02 am
amother wrote:

And what time do they end up finally getting to sleep? If it's around their ideal bedtime, great. If not...kids that don't get enough sleep are unable to focus in school, have a hearder time learning social cues, and often exhibit behavioral problems. Yes, it can be stressful to get kids to bed on time, and there has to be some flexibility. But just handing over the reins to them? When they're teens, sure, give them more responsibility about bedtimes. When they're little kids, though, parents are supposed to help them make these decisions -- they're not mature enough to realize how exhausted they are the next day and connect it to their late bedtime the night before!

junam

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 12:25 pm
What is Dina Friedmans bedtime routine? Could you elaborate please?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics