Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Amazon Shipping - why such a fortune?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:37 pm
about a month ago, I bought my DD's a cute item from Amazon.com. The cost of the item was 1.97 each, and shipping for the two was about $5.

My sister would like the same item and she's not online-savvy, so I said I'd try to help her out. Went on to Amazon, same seller, found the item, added 2 to my cart (she also has two DD's). But the shipping is coming out at over $20.

Why is this happening? Any idea? It makes no sense!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:40 pm
No idea but make sure you didn't click for overnight shipping or something and also maybe contact the vendor to see whats' going on.

Also look for same item by different vendor on amazon. Sometimes I pay a little higher for the item but get free shipping from amazon prime and that makes it a savings anyhow.

Last edited by MiracleMama on Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:40 pm
do you possibly have something else in your cart?

if its a private seller, they may be setting the price?

where is it coming from?

could it be an error?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:50 pm
I don't know about Amazon per se. In general, I do a subscription for the stuff I get from them, which means money off and free shipping.

Howver, on ebay, there are a lot of penny, dollar and 75 cent items which have low cost postage. Even if you get more than one at a time from a seller, you still might rack up postage charges. In reality, it pays for someone's time and materials to pack and send out your order, and even trouble shoot it in the future if you have a question or a problem.

I rrecently got something on ebay, liked them enough to get several, and paid $5 for each of them to be sent out - the package of five 99 cent items cost me $25. Ripoff? yes.

nylon

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 2:52 pm
If it's not actually fulfilled by Amazon, the seller sets the price and some 3rd party sellers have outrageous shipping charges.

I have Prime, which is a great deal if you buy on Amazon a lot, but it does not cover 3rd party sellers that don't use Amazon fulfillment. Amazon's regular shipping charges are not terrible and pretty transparent.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 3:09 pm
Thanks guys for replying!

I sent a message to the seller, so I'll see if I get a response.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 3:33 pm
The seller responded that these items are 10.99 each now for the shipping! $2 items. Oh well!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 3:35 pm
try to find them somewhere else- if you shop around you will save

Merrymom

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 3:47 pm
Just order one little thing that will come every few months (you can cancel later if you want to), mouthwash, diapers. It's called the subcribe and save program and if you sign up for it, you'll get Prime Membership and most of your items will ship for free.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 5:26 pm
Thanks Merrymom. I might try that!

I ended up ordering the item at $4 instead of 2, and but the shipping was 4.54. So I paid 12.54 total for two of the item, instead of over $20 because of outrageous shipping!

cm

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 5:54 pm
I try to order items in batches rather than one at a time. Shipping is free for orders over $25, either sold by or fulfilled by Amazon.

I do have a recurring shipment subscription, but it didn't come with Prime membership. Every so often they run a free trial - just remember to cancel it before your credit card is charged $79!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains