Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Pickled salmon recipe help

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 5:25 pm
I was served pickled salmon and liked it very much and requested the recipe.

I was told the following:
1 lg. onion, sliced in rings
1 cup sugar
3 cups water
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. pickling spice

Put onion and sugar in a pot and cook on medium flame until sugar is dissolved. Add water, vinegar,
salt and spices (wrap in parchment so it doesn’t stick to fish). Bring to a boil. Add salmon slices. Simmer,
covered for 40-60 minutes.

I'd like to make this and I can't reach the person who gave me the recipe.

Can someone help? First of all, 40-60 minutes simmering on the stove seems like an awful long time (they used appetizer-sized skinless filets). How long would you cook it for? And how much salmon would this amount of liquid work for?

If I would prefer to bake it in the oven (to accommodate a larger quantity in one layer); how would I adapt the recipe?

And, lastly, how long would this keep in the refrigerator?

Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 7:47 pm
Best way to do this is to bring the seasonings to a boil, and boil for 15-20 minutes.
Then add salmon, and simmer for 12 minutes. No more.

Allow salmon to cool completely in pot. Remove carefully with gloved hands. Do not use a spatula, as salmon will fall apart.
(If you really don't want the salmon to fall apart, best to store it in refrigerator in the pot it was cooked in. Then used gloved hands to remove salmon from pot, when ready to serve.)

Make this a day or two day before you want to serve it, because it tastes even better after it has sat in the liquid, in the fridge.

ETA: Recipe looks like it would be enough for 3-4 (8 oz.) slices of salmon, or 6-8 (4 oz.) appetizer slices of salmon.

Should last in the refrigerator at least a week.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jun 22 2011, 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 7:48 pm
About doing it in the oven: I recently tried a similar pickled salmon recipe in the oven.
Combine all the seasonings and liquid in a baking pan. Use only boiling water so that sugar and rest of the seasonings melt and meld together.
Arrange salmon in one layer in seasoned liquid. Cover pan tightly with foil, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. (It cooks much slower in the oven, especially when covered. But you do need the low temp and the covered pan if you want a marinated salmon texture- and not a baked one.)

What I found was that it took much longer for the flavors to really pop. The salmon tasted best when it sat in the fridge for way longer than the usual 1-2 days of pickling before serving. The good news is that this type of vinegar salmon lasts like 2 weeks in the fridge, so it's not a problem to let it sit so long before serving.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 7:58 pm
I have a pickled salmon and it calls for 35-40 minutes. I keep it on a low flame and it bubbles lightly.

Well, I would think 3 cups of water would be good for abt 4 pieces.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 8:08 pm
Thank you very much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics