Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
WWYD: New Prof. Blog on Blogspot or Wordpress?

preempservices

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 1:19 pm
I have strong computer skills (MS Office) and trained as a programmer, but this is a new endeavor.
From what I have read, Blogger has more to offer for free, but does not offer comment editing and I am concerned whether I will be able to ad a third party contact form on my own.
I already read
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....=blog
TIA

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 1:32 pm
I personally am a BIG fan of wordpress. The themes available out there are very professional looking. You have a lot of versatility. As a programmer, it's easy to tweak it how you want. Plugins galore.

I have set up several wordpress sites (PM me if you want to see diversity!) and a personal blogspot site (3 posts before I got too lazy Tongue Out)) and found wordpress to be much more customizable....

preempservices

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 1:35 pm
Have you stayed within the free formats/options?

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 1:44 pm
How much are you willing to spend on the website, because wordpress is at least 100 dollars per year, blogspot is free.
And you can definitely edit commends on blogspot. I use disqus.com powered comments and I can edit and change around comments, etc... very easily.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 1:50 pm
Yes, I've stayed with the free themes/templates/plugins from wordpress.

WP is NOT at least $100/year. You can host a website on a different server for $4.50/month, say, and have it support wordpress for absolutely free. WP is a free download.

I'm in the process of building a wordpress site now that I bought the domain for yesterday. ($6 to purchase domain name, $4.50/month hosting on ipage)...so far I have not made it be a shopping cart or anything (if I do, I might have to upgrade my hosting plan, but I don't think so). I could have stayed with a wordpress.com site, but didn't want to. Hosting fees varies per hosting company. Finding out what they offer can help you find the cheapest one. This is my first experience with iPage, but we'll see how much I get out of it for free. I'm halfway finished building my site and I really only started last night.

preempservices

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 1:54 pm
Thanks for the info so far!
I was hoping to have Wordpress or Blogspot host initially
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics