Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Sunburn: Please Help

lovemykids

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 11:39 pm
My husband got a nasty sunburn on each of his arms. I smeared them with Aloe Vera Gel (for sunburns) but when he put on his undershirt and took it off it was terribly painful as if he was peeling his skin off. I smeared it again and told him to go to sleep topless. Tomorrow, though, he has to go to work. What should I do to alleviate the pain and help that it shouldn't blister??

lovemykids

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 11:56 pm
Please? Anybody have any advice?

Annie

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 12:00 am
There's not much you can do. If it blisters, or needs to blister, nothing you can put on will help. The best relief (as someone who has had her share of horrid sunburns) is actually motrin or alleve, whatever works best for him. mostly keep the area dry and clean to prevent infection. Solarcaine (a spray you can by otc at a pharmacy) will help, but it stings initially. If he's having issues with it being hot and uncomfortable, you can use old fashioned noxema, but it has a very distinctive smell. It will I'YH only be really bad for about 3 days, then it won't hurt as much, and then it'll start peeling. If it does blister, it's a really bad burn and he needs to see a doctor.

purelife

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 12:04 am
take tylenol for the pain, and just wait till it heals... it's painful I also had it once

Imi8

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 2:20 am
Even though it's really hot, a pharmacist suggested that I cut out a plastic tablecloth (disposable) and put it on my son's back (after we put the burn spray on). It really helped him.

That way, it his clothes didn't rub against the sunburn and hurt him more.

allrgymama

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 7:32 am
When I was about 7 or 8, I burnt myself so badly one summer that I had blisters the size of egg yolks on my arm.

Seriously. My mother was afraid to take me to the hospital because she thought I'd be taken away.

So I spent about a week living in my father's undershirts with silvodene (spelling?) slathered all over my arms and my arms wrapped up in gauze.

I realize your husband can't go to work that way, but beyond talking to a doctor, the only suggestion I can offer that other people haven't is that you do the same -- get silvodene (or use aloe) and lots of gauze and wrap his arms up under his shirt.

To make sure that it doesn't blister, your husband MUST stay hydrated with water (this important to lessen the blistering and to healing the burn as quickly as possible; and water, not juice or soda or something else) and apply a really good quality aloe vera constantly (or prescription medication)

DovDov

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 10:18 am
For the pain, lots of ibuprofen. Every few hours.

For the burn, aloe vera, preferably straight from the plant. As frequently as he wants. Plastic or gauze over the burn to prevent chafing makes sense as well.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 5:12 pm
Solarcaine is my go to remedy for sunburn and I have had my fair share of burns in my 27 years. Its a spray that comes in a can.

sys

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 6:16 pm
sun burn dries the skin out so hydrate with LoTs of water and aloe vera or silvorden.. whatever ur using. this will also help with the blistering and pealing part.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 12:28 am
Baking soda?

southernima

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 12:56 am
SOLARCAINE (cool aloe burn relief formula) - if he puts it on an hour before he has to get dressed it will dry and wont get on his clothes gooey. As soon as he is home put more on. Then more on at bed time. It works. Also you can take IB profen for the pain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics